Problems with my Penn 9/0

Started by FishyRichy, September 08, 2013, 06:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishyRichy

Hey guys, I am back again. This time I am having an issue with getting the handle off. The screw that goes into the main gear shaft is stuck. It wont budge, and I have tried using WD40 and gun cleaning oil to free it. The outside is galled up pretty bad to where pliers just slip right off...any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Shark Hunter

Do you have one of Alan's wrenches?
If you don't, you need to get one. I guarantee it will come off with it. The downside, if it is seized up bad, you might twist the sleeve getting it off. Just be patient with it. I ruined a sleeve on a 6/0 getting it off with this wrench. I got in a hurry.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Trust me get a wrench, I was working on a friends with pliers and it wouldn't budge, got a wrench and a few twist and boom one hard bump it came loose. Keep on wd-40ing it till you get a wrench
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

Richard, as the guys mentioned, the best tool to use is Alan's wrench.
If you need to fix it quickly and don't have Alan's wrench, use one of penn's wrenches, hold it in place and tap the end of it gently with a hammer.
Make sure you go counterclockwise, once it moves a little you should be able to unscrew it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jonathan.han

If you don't have access to TSI 301 for a penetrating agent, you could always take a torch and LIGHTLY heat up the gear sleeve. The gear sleeve will absorb the heat faster than the handle nut and other metals and it may be enough to pull the handle nut out. Make sure you wear gloves and USE a Penn wrench and NOT channel locks.
raw instinct

George4741

Richard, if the handle bolt is galled up to the point you can't get Alan's wrench on it, then it may have to be drilled out.  It's not a job for the inexperienced.  I have SOME experience with, and have been successful in drilling out other stuck screws in my reels, most recently an International 20.  I use a drill press which makes the job much easier.
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Ugh! :-\
I wasn't going to go there George. I was thinking it though. For his sake, lets hope not.
I haven't came across one yet that needed drilled. I hope I never do. :)
Life is Good!

FishyRichy

Well I was succesfull in getting it off, but it was so galled I had to take the dremel out and square up the edges to get any kind of tool on it. Time to order a new handle bolt! It took about 3 hours of wd-40 applications and it ended up twisting right off. I will have to order one of alan's wrenches too, I have been buying some older Senators and fixing them up. Having the right tool for the job is always a time and effort saver! Thanks again for all the replies, I always receive great knowledge and feedback from this forum and I really appreciate it.

Tight Lines!

George4741

Quote from: FishyRichy on September 09, 2013, 05:46:05 PM

Well I was succesfull in getting it off, but it was so galled I had to take the dremel out and square up the edges to get any kind of tool on it.

Thank goodness.  Stuck screws can get VERY UGLY!
viurem lliures o morirem

Shark Hunter

Glad you got it off Richy! ;)
I am careful how I buy my Reels. If I can't see the spool, or they look too corroded, I don't buy them.
Its been working out good so far.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

I look at the spools a lot, if there's line on em I don't trust em.
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Yea,
I hear you Grayson! Especially when they leave just a little bit on the spool so you can't tell if its a three piece or not. I just keep on walking! ;)
Life is Good!