Old video of Great White Shark caught on a Sabre Rod and Penn Reel

Started by WCFLA, September 24, 2013, 11:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCFLA

Here is a link to a video that I found on Youtube. The shark was caught on a Sabre Rod and a Penn Reel.

Regards,
Dan

Robert Janssen

Yes, they finally nailed down the weight at 3427 lbs iirc. There is a model of it at Montauk. World's largest fish ever caught on rod & reel. There was no official record registered by IGFA though; it had to do with using whale meat for bait. Frank Mundus died a few years ago; dunno where Donnie Braddick is now.

floating doc

Mundus denied using the whale for bait in one of the interviews I saw. Who knows? Big fish, anyhow.  They live a long time;  maybe she would still be alive if they hadn't landed her.
Central Florida

Robert Janssen

Yes, and i saw another article that said it had to do with switching anglers in the chair. Whatever. Big fish; that record won't likely be beaten anytime soon.

Speaking of big sharks, any of y'all seen this? Part of a marine biological research project, this organization tags big sharks with GPS tags so you can follow them around online. Neat.

I've been following Mary Lee, a Great White about the size of Mundus', on her trips along the East Coast and her vacation in Bermuda. (some people follow Twitter accounts; i follow sharks. Your call.)

http://sharks-ocearch.verite.com/   pick from tabs along the edges.

Shark Hunter

That's pretty Cool! What kind of reel is that? An International maybe?
Life is Good!