Current Abu Line Carriage Threads Different on the 4-5-6 Reels

Started by Ken_D, September 11, 2013, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Unsure about the rest of the planet, but here, the threads on the line carriages are different. I had dropped the line pawl keeper on the floor, and decided to use one from "up top" (I carry spares above, in case things hit the floor which I pick up later)

Well. To my chagrin, the pawl keeper from old stock would not fit the current day line carriage!!!!  The threads male and female are different on the new stuff. I have lower back issues, and choose not to bend overly much, so I just grabbed a new old stock line carriage for the reel, from above, and retrieved the one on the deck at a later date.

I ran this scenario past a local warranty center, and he had also run into the same thing, so my case was not a one-off.

Snagged2

I ran into that awhile back on an older 5000.. nothing would interchange from the older vintage line guide system to the newer model parts I had...

Ken_D

Hmmm.... possibly that's why the some new line carriages are coming with keepers...much the same as the new worms are coming with the little white nylon bushing for fitting into the shroud.  

Two really niggly things that I find most annoying is that BCX/Kalex reels use a different pawl from the regular round Abus. Twits. And they also use a different idler gear to operate the line carriage. Nice. I hope all their teeth fall out just before thanksgiving....so they can gum their turkey dinner to death   ;D  ;D