Bryan's 5+1 drag system for Newell 4 Stack drag Test

Started by Newell Nut, July 31, 2013, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Bryan

The drags arrived today and I loaded up a P 332 with a Newell 4 stack drag system. I used one of Dawn's standard CFs under the gear to duplicate Newell's design dimensions. I did not use you final thin metal washer. I used the Newell thicker top washer on the stack and the fit was perfect. Everything fit in the side plate perfectly.
Used 50 lb mono today.
First run down drive way. 18 lb smooth
Second run. 21 lb smooth
Third run. 25 lb smooth
Had to let it cool down a few minutes.
Maxed the star out.
Fourth run. 33lb smooth and no chatter.

I call this a very successful test. Apparently the old Newell 4 stack drag has a smoothness advantage at the highest drag setting over the standard 3 stack arrangement in newer models

alantani

nice!  too bad carl newell is not around to see this. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

He should not have stopped making the 4 stack system. I fortunately have 4 of them in my collection.

Newell Nut

I opened the reel up this morning for inspection and found one of the CFs to be a little frayed on the ID and OD. This one was also soft like cloth. The others appeared normal. I put them all back in and will inspect after several fishing trips and I don't run my drags that tight anyway so I am not worried about it being a problem.

Bryan Young

I noticed that a lot of the drag washers are exact fit and not loose like if you use HT-100s.  I have to look into this a little more.  Note that I'm using carbontex drag washers.  the thin ones, once grease and have been compressed and used  will feel flimsy like cloth.  I have found that it will not change the effectiveness of the washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ErnieK

Hi Bryan- been researching how to upgrade my 200 and 300 Newell and it brought me to here. Do you have any info on where I can purchase the kits from? Also any tips for 500 series. Thanks and the drag results look awesome. 

Tunacious

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8200.0

Quote from: ErnieK on September 14, 2013, 08:52:15 PM
Hi Bryan- been researching how to upgrade my 200 and 300 Newell and it brought me to here. Do you have any info on where I can purchase the kits from? Also any tips for 500 series. Thanks and the drag results look awesome. 

ErnieK

Quote from: Tunacious on September 16, 2013, 06:55:36 AM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8200.0

Quote from: ErnieK on September 14, 2013, 08:52:15 PM

Thanks for the link to the 500 series kit.  Hopefully, Bryan or someone will chime in on where to buy, I'd like 2 kits for the 200/300 and 1 for the 500 please!

Ron Jones

You buy them from Bryan. Unless you are in Hawaii, then you buy it at 5 Oceans 7 Seas.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"