Penn 113h Dog Spring

Started by broadway, March 22, 2010, 09:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Does anyone know if too much grease is on the dog is this harmful?  The tick sound (on every rotation) that it makes is dampened severely, but I still here it.  Do I have to take it apart again to de-grease the dog or will it spread out during use? Thanks

PS-Can someone explain how to send a pm (I tried to send Alan a PM for an hour-it didn't work) I'm new to this computer game.
Dom 

Bryan Young

It may hurt the dog or the (ah what is that called again?) if the dog does not fully extend down or does not extend quick enough.

Regarding PM, just sent you a test message.  Seems to go through.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slgriffiths

Hi Dom,
As Bryan said, too much grease on the dog or the teeth of the gear sleeve can cause the dog to incompletely engage with the gear sleeve, which, in a worst case scenario could cause the antireverse to fail, and damage both the dog and gear sleeve (if it's not stainless).
The dog is bronze, I think, not brass, but it's still quite soft, and if only the tip is engaged with the gear sleeve when a load comes on, the tip can shear and deform.  And it's going to happen when you least want it to - when you've got a lot of load on.
A very thin smear of a sticky grease like Cal's is all that's required.  Hate to say it, but if the ticking is reduced, it's probably not engaging fully. 
It feels good to grease everything - loving the reel with lashings of corrosion prevention - but especially in this area, less is more.
Simon.

broadway

Makes sense! Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the heads up. I'll go take it apart in the A.M., remove some grease, make sure the ticking is there, and close her up for the 4th time today.  I'll tell ya what, take down and assembly is gettin' a lot easier now:)  Thanks simon and Brian (and yes Simon we're all stainless inside now:)  Gonna check my PM now,  Bryan.  If yours worked,  I'll try shootin' ya back a pm.
Dom

alantani

sorry for being awol.  it's been a rough week at work and i had that sand crab classic perch fishing derby on saturday.  yeah, i suck at perch fishing!

don't pack too much grease in and around the dog.  you don't want it getting stuck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!