SL20SH and X20SHV handles

Started by Sith Lord, September 13, 2013, 02:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sith Lord

I've searched and can not find. Are the handles on these two reels interchangable?  The drive shaft part numbers are different on each reel, was not able to get a clear answer by pulling the schematics.

Thank you  :)

Rob

Bryan Young

Yes they are. I believe the difference other than one is black and chrome and the other is black and gold, the X has more bearings for smoother casting
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

They also fit the Penn GS reels.  I put the SL handles on my 525, 525 mag, 535, 545 and 555. My 525 mag now has a Torque handle that should fit the Daiwa's too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Fish-aholic

As already mentioned, the handles are easily interchangeable.

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 13, 2013, 06:13:07 PM
Yes they are. I believe the difference other than one is black and chrome and the other is black and gold, the X has more bearings for smoother casting

The main difference between the forementioned models are; the SHV's have a free floating spool, the SL20's have the spools axial passing through the pinion gear. The former has better freespool than the latter.  ;)

jonathan.han

The older SL series driveshafts are stainless. The X series are brass.
raw instinct

Ron Jones

I don't suppose the drive shafts are interchangeable? The brass shaft and gears are this reels weakest link.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jonathan.han

I believe the driveshafts on the SL were longer than the X series. I tried to use a brass one to replace a steel one on an SL, but the brass shaft was too short. The gears on the SL were a bit beefier and a bit taller. The X series was narrower due to the difference in gear height by a few millimeters. The gear housing on the sideplate was larger in volume on the SL, if that makes any sense.
raw instinct

jonathan.han

The thread pitch on the shaft is too fine. Add some salt buildup and too high a drag setting and the star will jump threads or cross thread after the threads have been galled.
raw instinct

Ron Jones

The thread pitch on the stainless (SL)is finer or the brass (X)?

Bottom line; is it possible, or advisable, to make a hybrid of this reel with the x casting and the SL stainless shaft and heavy gears? I LOVE my x-20 and would love it more if I could make it stronger.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jonathan.han

Unfortunately, the thread pitch is the same for both the stainless and brass driveshafts. I guess you could swap the SL sideplate, driveshaft, gears over to the X series. I would try to look for the older version if you really like it; they are pretty solid since the steel has less of a chance of weakening threads. If you service them, like most other reels, they should last you decades.

I had one SL and two X-series Sealines the last go around at them about a month or two ago. I tried to swap shafts, but noticed the length difference and stopped there. I did notice the right sideplates were different, but you would be better off sourcing one from eBay/etc. Great little reels-basically a brass driveshaft and gears in a TLD Star/Speedmaster, in a Daiwa version with a "free-floating spool. And here we are talking about the TLD Star once again... Granted, the TLD Star is not as compact as the Sealine. Keep a good amount of grease on the driveshaft of the X series and keep the drag down to a usable level. Anything higher than 8-10lbs of drag and the frame will warp a bit with prolonged use-then you have to file a bit of the frame
raw instinct

skrilla

What is the vintage of your sloshes? I have one that had a brass drive shaft which got damaged by hammering down too much on a trip. Ordered a replacement from Daiwa and they sent me another brass one.

Opened up my SHAs and looks to be the same brass material.

jonathan.han

Very old. I think they changed the driveshaft halfway through the production run of the non-SHV model due to costs. I have seen only steel in the SL20SH versions I have seen. If you ordered it through Daiwa, that would explain the brass replacement.
raw instinct

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

So,
Just to see I pulled my 20-SHV handle off and the shaft is stainless. I have several other Diawa conventionals and this is the only stainless shaft I have found. Will look at the gears soon, still fishing it now.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"