Spool pitting

Started by locknut, September 14, 2013, 04:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

Yep I know you will all say this one has been done to death I am sure but you also know that searching for info can be challenging so here goes.

While recently fishing in Fiji for Yellow fin Tuna ( Hey someone has to do it) I noticed a small area of pitting on the  side of the spool on a Makaira 10II. This was showing as the line on the  spool was being diminished despite the best efforts of the reels drag to slow the Tuna. So now back home I have stripped off the braid to look at the problem. A small but deep area of pitting has developed about 2mmx 2mm. on the side of the spool just below the where the top on the line fill usually is. What are the recommendations to firstly clean the area up then try and stop it from developing into a bigger problem.

I was thinking of trying salt away or a similar salt neutraliser to clean up and then apply some corrosionx hd to the affected area. I am open to any better suggestions

Bunnlevel Sharker

Scrub it with blue yammaha grease and a tooth brush, then wax the whole spool and focus on the area with a few layers. Was the spool ever scratched possibly?
Grayson Lanier

john2244

I clean the area and fill with several coats of clear nail polish.

John