What to do with frozen fillets?

Started by Steve-O, September 15, 2013, 03:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Can it!!

Wifey and I spent last Saturday afternoon making room in the freezer for fresh caught salmon from Alaska next week upon my return from a week up there.  Fingers crossed!

So I did the thawing, skinning, slicing and dicing into strips and chunks to soak in the brine before canning them into pints in the pressure cookers. We did two sessions and pretty much stocked the pantry with a couple dozen pints of cod, halibut and coho salmon. Only one lid failed to seal.....ate that sucka pronto using my fav recipe for salmon salad. Canned salmon drained, mashed, mixed with mayo and home made chow chow relish....woooooo.....weeee!   Makes my mouth water just typing. Eat on a Ritz or saltine with a dash of extra vintage aged Tabasco. Yum!

Ron Jones

are you low pressure canning or actually meat canning?

Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ChileRelleno

Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Good!
I've several jars that a buddy of mine in AK sent me, his are smoked and some Jalapeno added.
Gonna have to open one now...  Where's that box of Triscuits?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Steve-O

Quote from: noyb72 on September 15, 2013, 03:34:23 AM
are you low pressure canning or actually meat canning?

Ronald

By the book with adjustment for our altitude of 4500'ASL.

So that comes out to 13psi for 110 minutes, then the cool down time. About 4 hours per session.

The brine is also standard stuff except for the redder ones you see in the pic which got a cup of brown sugar added with a separate brine soak.

That's the short and easy version. Web search will yield all kinds of brine recipes. Care must be taken with meat and fish canning. No shortcuts and follow the rules.

I'm in between flights in Seattle now and will be in AK in. Couple of hours. A buddy on the ak fishing forum got a one day headstart and has already shown me a limit of coho on the dock. Yeah!

Ron Jones

Cool, it will last for years and taste great. I have done albacore using regular canning methods (think jelly,) it lasts for months and is also delicious.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Night Prowler

Mmmmm good. Looks like family and friends are going to be happy. I wish I had salmon over here. I've been canning ( or jaring if you like ) all kinds of tuna for the whole summer and most of my family and friends are stoked. I like the dark meat tunas the best for the flavor. Did yellowfin, skipjack, and large kawakawa this year and just sent some to a friend in Oregon wrapped up in a USPS flat rate box. Hope he sends me some of his killer elk jerky when he gets a fresh batch this year ;D

jigmaster501

By the look of the photo, it appears that there is a very large headspace in the jars which can have an adverse effect on the vacuum and the heat penetration itself.
This can be an issue with Clostridium Botulinum toxin formation (botulism).

If you are following a recipe for pressure canning, make sure the process was developed by a process authority competent in low acid canning.

The heat and pressure is necessary to destroy CBOT spores as well as vegetative cells.

I don't know the brine strength you used but be careful.

Ken_D

At sea level, every pound in pressure in the cooker, adds 3 degrees F, once the air is removed to the cooker. I do my salmon at 18 pounds for 90 minutes, in half-pint jars. 90 measured once the cooker is up to pressure, till cool-down. Making the total time longer than 90.

We are at 1200 or so feet above, so I suspect that 18 pounds is making about  255-260° F..safe to destroy both toxin and spores of Mr. and Mrs Bot. From web sources at various USA universities, 250 seems to be the "the magic number", so I'm good.
Here's 2: From the University of Alaska Fairbanks Campus, and the U. of Wisconsin. http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publications-db/catalog/hec/FNH-00223.pdf

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Canning%20Meat,%20Wild%20Game,%20Poultry,%20&%20Fish%20Safely%20(B3345).pdf

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

do you still have some frozen ones? ship to brasil please   ;D