Albacore Special Diameter

Started by Frank, September 15, 2013, 11:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the left sideplate on the 280/282 and the 540/542 Albacore Special series Pro Gear reels? From the pictures I have they appear to be close in size but all photos are on an angle and could be a little deceiving.

Thanks,
Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

MarkT

280 is 2 11/16".  540 is 3 1/8".
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Frank

Thanks very much Mark!!! Love this forum.

MarkT

I have a 540 sitting on the bar 5' away from me and a 280 strapped to a rod in the garage where I had to go to get the tape measure so I didn't have to work too hard to get the info!

Frank

It's just that they are so scarce I thought it would be tough to find someone who had one of each size to even get a measurement.

MarkT

I have 2 540's, one with 3.6:1 and one with the stock 5:1. I have a 280 that is one of my favorite reels. I don't use the 540's much anymore since I have 2-speeds for 40#. I'm a tackle ho so I have lots more rods and reels than I use.

Frank

I'm a bit of a ho too Mark. I have one of each of the old school Pro Gear models including a Wahoo Special (all with line out clickers), several 2000, 2500, 3000 and 3500 Pacificas, a 501, 625 and a 650, but no Albacore Specials until two nights ago. I lucked out and snached up a Ebay buy it now ABS540S-7 brand new in the box for $140. Won't arrive for a few more days and I hope it's not a scam but I'm psyched as of now.

In hand is the 540 that much bigger than the 280? Kind of hard to tell from pictures. I can see that the 540 doesn't have that big gear box bump.

MarkT

The 540 looks and feels bigger than the 280.  It's about like a Torium/Trinidad 20 only with more capacity.

Frank

Great description. Thanks again Mark.