A trip into the wilds of Namibia

Started by Jeri, September 15, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi All,

Lousy at putting pictures up on the site, but if ou would like to have a look at: www.excalibur-tackle.com/meobbay2013.htm. For a report on a trip I did recently with some clients.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Nessie Hunter

Very well written and informative article..
I was hypnotized while reading.
The pics were amazing.
Thank you very much.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dominick

Thanks Jeri.  I enjoyed that adventure very much.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Great story - thanks Jeri!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

I love reading your work. it is just like listening to the wires family. Funny enough she's from Durban. I have finally gotten to e where the jargon makes sense.

Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

john2244

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jeri

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the generous comments – it was certainly a personal challenge, and a bit of an epic journey.

A variant of this is going to be published in a magazine, Ronald, your comments on 'jargon', do I need to elaborate for readers about how dunes are made, and avoid some of the confusion??

Never really had to have something critiqued by a non-desert driving or African reader, hve I missed something out?

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Alto Mare

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us Jeri, very nice.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

Ron Jones

Jeri,
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. You undoubtedly know what biltong is, here it is jerky. It took me 5 years to get my wife to stop bringing home ketchup when we needed tomato sauce et all. My wife could read your article and understand 100% where as some of the ideas would be lost on most over here.

"with a huge braii" That is the quote that got me thinking about this. We sort of gave up between BBQ and Braii and now we grill! By the way, if you ever get a chance to tell a drunk South African that BBQing and Braiing is the same thing don't. I tried and you may as well pound your thumb with a hammer until it stops hurting.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CapeFish

Quote from: noyb72 on September 17, 2013, 04:12:30 AM
Jeri,
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. You undoubtedly know what biltong is, here it is jerky. It took me 5 years to get my wife to stop bringing home ketchup when we needed tomato sauce et all. My wife could read your article and understand 100% where as some of the ideas would be lost on most over here.

"with a huge braii" That is the quote that got me thinking about this. We sort of gave up between BBQ and Braii and now we grill! By the way, if you ever get a chance to tell a drunk South African that BBQing and Braiing is the same thing don't. I tried and you may as well pound your thumb with a hammer until it stops hurting.

Ron

O well , we all have to deal with each other's "jargon", makes the planet an interesting place to live. I have to add though that jerky does not equal biltong, jerky is cooked then dried, not biltong it is raw meat hung out to dry  :) :) :) This could be the topic for a whole new funny thread. Does your wife use the terms "just now" or "now now"? For us to figure out what the heck white fuel and kerosene is is about the same as the bbq and braai argument.

Thanks for the fantastic report Jeri, that must have been an absolutely epic trip. Do you think the area will produce cob catches in summer?

Ron Jones

Now, Just now and Now Now are all different. If you are my wife, you have the liberty to use them interchangably and expect your spouse to understand what on earth you mean.

Yes, we all have to figure out what each other mean, but it is nice to read Jeri's article and not need an interpreter. I understand that biltong doesn't use smoke, but when you get a stick of wildebeast at the Tiger Valley Mall it tastes a whole lot like jerky.

My other favorite word is lecker. It just roles of the tongue well.

It is not exceptional to hear the order "chirp, put on your veldskoene and check daddy has a lecker fire going in the braii." She will come back with a report unless she is distracted by a shongololo.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

ossipeter

CapeFish

Quote from: noyb72 on September 17, 2013, 07:13:30 PM
Now, Just now and Now Now are all different. If you are my wife, you have the liberty to use them interchangably and expect your spouse to understand what on earth you mean.

Yes, we all have to figure out what each other mean, but it is nice to read Jeri's article and not need an interpreter. I understand that biltong doesn't use smoke, but when you get a stick of wildebeast at the Tiger Valley Mall it tastes a whole lot like jerky.

My other favorite word is lecker. It just roles of the tongue well.

It is not exceptional to hear the order "chirp, put on your veldskoene and check daddy has a lecker fire going in the braii." She will come back with a report unless she is distracted by a shongololo.

Ron

:) good one Ron you seem to be well versed. just remember we need to pull out calculators for the inch and yard measurements.