Spinfisher 750SS line roller not rolling

Started by paal, September 15, 2013, 03:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paal

Distinguished gentlemen of the AT forum,
I recently bought a factory overhauled 750ss, and took it for a week of halibut jigging in northern Norway. It was loaded with 50lbs Fireline/80lbs top shot. I noticed that with a 10oz jig, the line roller won't roll on the retrieve. It's rotating when I apply very little pressure on it, but as soon as the weight of the jig was there it stopped. Cleaning and lubing didn't change anything.
Back home I cleaned it again, and used a very light grease. Very little change, but now it would roll once in a while, but stay put for most of the time. I even tried to break it in using my dremel and a rubber band, running that line roller equivalent to what must have been about 10 miles or so with line running through it. Still not much different.

I have a couple of other spinners with line roller bushings, and they are a bit more reliable, although no comparison to my reels that have ball bearing rollers.

This reel is intended for heavy use, 10-15oz of jigs, so wear will be high. I need this line roller to work, because braid is incredibly expensive here in Norway (paid in excess of $80 for 440 yards of fireline, and that's a good deal in Norwegian tackle shops). Don't want to change the line too often, if I can avoid it.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Tight lines!

Alto Mare

Hello paal, when you say you've cleaned it, did you pull the plastic bushing out from the roller? If you did, that would be the first thing I would clean or replace. It could also be any of these:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35-750.aspx
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/35A-704.aspx
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/132-750.aspx
before you order parts, make sure you've taken everything apart, clean the post on the bail with some fine ss wool, also the inner side of the roller and bushing ....see how that goes.
If you see any wear marks on any of the parts mentioned above, time for replacement.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

Hi Sal,
yes, I pulled everything apart, but used only cotton swaps to clean. I'll follow your advice, makes a lot of sense. Thanks buddy :)

Alto Mare

Make sure you don't use anything too abrasive for that plastic bushing though.
Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

There's pretty much wear on the line roller itself, and the washer. Also, the plastic bushing has a very loose fit around the 'axle', so I have ordered new parts. Hope that will suffice, would be nice not to have to change the bail wire assembly to :)

I can't believe the availability of parts for these reels, after being discountinued for that long.... Penn runs an impressive operation!

Alto Mare

Quote from: paal on September 25, 2013, 09:16:55 AM

I can't believe the availability of parts for these reels, after being discountinued for that long.... Penn runs an impressive operation!
One of the main reason why I like my Penn reels ;)