Saltiga LD40 2-speed

Started by MarkT, September 15, 2013, 08:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I picked up one yesterday to use with my new Phenix Black Diamond 760H.  I spooled it up with 400 yds of 65# Izor spectra with about 20 yds of 40# Pline CXX.  I don't really know anything about the Daiwas but it's real smooth and feels good in the hand and on the rod.  Just have to get out and get it bloody.  Anything I should know or do to it first?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

redsetta

In my experience, they're great reels.
As always, a thorough once-over (eg grease internals surfaces etc) is a good idea before any corrosion builds up.
Schematic here, if of use: http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SALD35-2SPD-LD50-2SPD.pdf
Good luck out on the water, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

jonathan.han

Repack bearings and open up the spool bearings. The first few production runs of these reels had severe corrosion issues with the bearings; same with the Saltist LD series. I had a Saltist with 5 bad bearings after 3 trips. Yes, I rinsed it, but in stock trim. Since then, I've done the usual service and haven't had problems other than some salt crystallization in the spool bearings (typical with heavy use). On this frame, use COrrosion-X on the screws and not grease since the frame is very light and thin in some areas-there is the possibility of cracking the frame if you use grease on the sideplate screws.

Bottom line: Service it before you find out you have corrosion later and save yourself the hassle.

Also, there are two pins that deliver an audible "click" when you ramp the lever forward at preset points. They are #57 and #58 on the schematic. They are similar to the Click pin and click spring on the Shimano Toriums and Trindads. Make sure they do not drop, shoot, or fall out when disassembling and reassembling. I've considered removing both or just one of them to make the lever's forward movement a bit smoother, but have not had time to play with it much. Other than that, I have enjoyed mine. I have not noticed a real difference between the Saltiga and Saltist other than the frames. Internally, they are both Avets with larger pinion gears and an Ambassadeur AR dog/AR bearing.
raw instinct

MarkT

I'm going out tomorrow night on the Endeavor. I'll have to open it up after I get back. Hopefully, I'll put it to the test... Unless the fish are big and aggressive enough that I'll move up to 50#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jonathan.han

Always better to go through everything before you find out when something goes out. Things usually go out under load esp. a drag issue.  :-\
raw instinct