New Guy Here...

Started by sundaytrucka, September 17, 2013, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Hello AT.com!

My name is Scott.

I live in Gardena, California; formerly home to Yo's Custom Rods and Art's Fishing Tackle, both have closed down in recent years. I mention that because I have lived in gardena my entire life, and learned a lot from both of these shops, always hanging out Yo's when I was 11-13 years old; learned so much, I miss those days, really appreciate them welcoming a young kid to hang out and hear their fishing/life stories.

I have been away from the water almost 12 years now. I used to frequent 22nd St in San Pedro, twilight and overnight trips, but went to college, sold all my equipment and tackle (except my rods) before I left to college in Las Vegas.

Picked up my stored rods from parents house and my fishing disease has re-appeared. I am going to work on getting a new collection of reels, tackle, and equipment over the next year, before next summer rolls around.

I am kind of flustered by the options, uses, and capabilities of current reels available (Internet was just coming into its own before I could use it as a fishing resource). I am mainly going to fish local waters when the yellowtail are in season, and plan on taking one SD Long Range trip of 4-10 days, once a year; working on builing my arsenal for both sets of trips.

I found the website through googling reel info, and always seeing Alan's reel building tutorials plastered all over random fishing forums.

I am looking forward to learning more about reels and fishing setups. I have the local so-cal fishing down, now I am looking for gear info and tips on fishing the "shorter" Long Range trips.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

scott, glad to have you here.  i lived in gardena for a while and still have family there.  for me, it was mostly runs to spot market for groceries.  i was there during my residency.   i had a pretty good deal with my grandfather.  i got to live with him for free, but just did the cooking and cleaning. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Welcome from Sunny San Mateo, California.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Welcome aboard Scott - you'll find what you're after here...
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Scott...welcome from a former SoCal resident...Oxnard, Reseda, Fontana, and now the Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"...

kamuwela

aloha scott thank you for joining

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

bajaandy

Welcome! You're gonna like this place. It can get to be kind of addictive, but in a good way.  :)
I tink, therefore I am.

erikpowell