Line Rating and Reels for a 4-7 Day Long Range Trip??? All Input Welcome!!!

Started by sundaytrucka, September 18, 2013, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Looking for any and all opinions and input on what reel setups you would recommend for a 4-7 day long range trip out of San Diego, Ca. Mainly, what pound line would you recommend, and what reels would match up well to that respective use?

Never been on a LR trip before, longest being a few 1.5 day trips to Catalina and San Clemente Island.  I know a 4 day trip varies from a 7 day, but want to get a rough guide to start me in the right direction.

I have checked a lot of the forums and LR boat websites and got a lot of good info, but it varies; and everybody has their opinion...

What setups "people" recommend:

20#, 30# X2, 40# X2, 50#, 60#, 80#, 100#

I know I may be over thinking things...if we are catching 15-25 lb tuna and yellowtail or the tuna bite kicks in and they are 40-100 lbs, switch up the gear to the proper range...I simply do not want to bring 7 or 8 setups along with me, and more to the point spend money on rods and reels I do not need as a necessity for the trip.

From what I have gathered, I would be best served with the following setups (Topshots backed with Spectra):

30# Live bait---30-40# Surface Jig---40# Live Bait---40-50# Live Bait/Yo-Yo---80# Live Bait/Dropper Loop

I know this is a loaded question, but based on what I currently have, what would you use or 86 of my current rods, and what setups would you recommend adding to my arsenal for a 4-7 day trip??? Mainly, what pound line would you recommend, and what reels would match up to that respective use? (I currently have no reels. I am quite comfortable shopping for, and selecting rods; reels kind of stump me. That's why I am here.)

Rods I have now:

Seeker 220, 8' 6" 15(20#)30 -Live Bait

Seeker 670, 7' 20(30)50 -Live Bait

Calstar 900M, 9' 30-40 -Jig/Live Bait

AllStar (off the rack) 7' 30(40)50 -Live Bait

What I believe I need to add:

40-60# setup -Live Bait/Yo-Yo/Dropper loop

80# setup -Live bait

I know I am asking a lot, but I am a long way off from stepping on the deck of a long range boat and want to gain all of the knowledge and insight I can. I realize there is no right answer....So thanks for any input you may have.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

conchydong

Hi Scott, I have only been on (2) ten day trips but I would probably take the following on a 4-7 day.
I think 30lb is too light for surface iron on a Long Range trip down south as is 40lb for yoyo/wahoo.
20lb bait.
30lb bait
40lb bait (you can have a back up for this rig)
40lb surface iron
50lb bait
50lb yoyo/wahoo
60lb bait
80-100lb bait/ dropper loop
use the boats trolling rods

SoCalAngler

I'd leave the 20lb setups home and bring at a minimum 1-30lb setup for the smaller tuna, yellows and for making bait (if you need to go lighter add some fluoro on top of the 30lb and adjust the drag accordingly), 2-40lb setups one with a 7' rod used for bait, wahoo bombs and yoyo iron the other on a 8' or longer rod used for the surface iron (40lb setups will be fished most on this length of trips), one setup to fish 50-60lb test on a rod 6' to 6.5' long and one 80lb setup used for trolling and heavy dropper loop fishing. The last setup's reel should be something in the 30 II size with aluminum frame matched to a rod in the 80lb class.

There is alot of good gear in these classes and some great which is more costly. Stick with well known players for reels like Penn, Okuma, Avet, Diawa and Accurate and for rods Calstar and Seeker and you will be in a very good place.

EDIT: You can always use the boats trolling setups so there is no need to buy one just for that. I have them so I bring them. On the boats that focus more on long range service most if not all have very good loaner gear. If your looking to buy something that you may only use one time a year it may be in your best interest to try some of their loaner gear before dropping a load of cash on something. With that said most of the "buget" boats that sometimes go long don't have the best gear on them.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

Ron Jones

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 18, 2013, 08:27:00 PM
I e always wondered, what exactly is dropper loop for?

It's for catching fish!! ;D ;D (couldn't resist.)

Dropper loops are great because you only need the main line, the weight and the hook. Loop your hook into the loop, tie your weight on to the end of the main line (I prefer a surgeon's loop) and go fishing. The majority of So-Cal half and 3/4 day party boat fishing is done this way. I prefer a 3 way swivel and a longer leader as long as their aren't 50 other people trying to fish the same hole. That's because I'm a geer weenie.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Ron

Your welcome to check but a Drooper Loop only gives you 80% of the line strenth that you are using.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ron Jones

Mike,
That's cool. It still catches fish, lots and lots of them. I like to play with knots as much as the next guy, and I really enjoy digging into the technical aspects of all things fishing, but at the end of the day if I am filleting fish the reel, rod,line, knot (s) and bait worked!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

The dropper loop is more of a term used here, or should I say a method, on the left coast than any one knot. You tie a loop in the line where you place the hook, some even cut this loop to make a single line to tie the hook to. You leave the tag end long, around 4 foot is normal, and tie a torpedo sinker to the long tag end. This way when you drop your bait to the bottom and crank up a turn or three your bait will be around 4 feet higher than the sinker. I use a Spider Hitch to make my loop, others use a Dropper Loop and some use a Prefection Loop and all fall under the term dropper loop here.

Another Edit to My first Post: You don't need a 8' or longer rod to fish the surface iron but I like to fish them. Also it is wise to have a backup to the 40lb test reel as a "just in case reel" should something go wrong with the main reel. For me I like to have my backup ready to fish so I strap it on a rod and in this case it would be a longer rod to fish the surface iron. If I didn't have another rod to put the backup reel on I sure would have it in my tackle bag, just in case.

bluefish69

Ron

Try this Knot it is called The Plait. This Knot gives 100% line strenth & is just as easy as the Drooper Loop. I tried to get the pictures but I had no luck.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalAngler

Scott,

You may want to get this book, "For the Love of Long Range Sport Fishing San Diego Style" by Jim Burroughs. It's a good read for newbies and guys that fish LR often.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: sundaytrucka on September 18, 2013, 08:39:28 AM
I have checked a lot of the forums and LR boat websites and got a lot of good info, but it varies; and everybody has their opinion...
-Scott

ooops missed this part  ::) ::) ::)
x2 on socalangler's suggestion...

sundaytrucka

Quote from: conchydong on September 18, 2013, 12:41:29 PM
Hi Scott, I have only been on (2) ten day trips but I would probably take the following on a 4-7 day.
I think 30lb is too light for surface iron on a Long Range trip down south as is 40lb for yoyo/wahoo.
20lb bait.
30lb bait
40lb bait (you can have a back up for this rig)
40lb surface iron
50lb bait
50lb yoyo/wahoo
60lb bait
80-100lb bait/ dropper loop
use the boats trolling rods

Thank you for the input conchydong. This is the info I am looking for, a generalization of what you guys would use and/or recommend.  I will definitely take your advice on using 40# test for surface iron, and using a heavier than 40# yo-yo setup. (So used to local So-Cal fishing, hard to get out of my system.) 

I have gathered that it is best to call the boat landing shortly prior to my trip, and ask what areas we may possibly fish and the size of fish that are expected to be encountered.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 18, 2013, 04:56:05 PM
I'd leave the 20lb setups home and bring at a minimum 1-30lb setup for the smaller tuna, yellows and for making bait (if you need to go lighter add some fluoro on top of the 30lb and adjust the drag accordingly), 2-40lb setups one with a 7' rod used for bait, wahoo bombs and yoyo iron the other on a 8' or longer rod used for the surface iron (40lb setups will be fished most on this length of trips), one setup to fish 50-60lb test on a rod 6' to 6.5' long and one 80lb setup used for trolling and heavy dropper loop fishing. The last setup's reel should be something in the 30 II size with aluminum frame matched to a rod in the 80lb class.

There is alot of good gear in these classes and some great which is more costly. Stick with well known players for reels like Penn, Okuma, Avet, Diawa and Accurate and for rods Calstar and Seeker and you will be in a very good place.

EDIT: You can always use the boats trolling setups so there is no need to buy one just for that. I have them so I bring them. On the boats that focus more on long range service most if not all have very good loaner gear. If your looking to buy something that you may only use one time a year it may be in your best interest to try some of their loaner gear before dropping a load of cash on something. With that said most of the "buget" boats that sometimes go long don't have the best gear on them.

Thank you for the information SoCalAngler.  I like the idea of switching leaders on my 30# setup, to use 20# if the fish are smaller and/or line-shy.  I believe I am going to attempt that setup, of using variable leaders/topshot. on reels with a wide range of capabilities.

So far, for 4-7 day trips, I am planning on the following setups:

20# Light Live Bait (If needed)
30# Live Bait
40# Surface Iron
40# Live Bait
40#-60# Live Bait and Yo-Yo
60#-100# Live Bait, Chunk, and Dropper Loop Rig

I will be using spectra backing, and short leaders on 40# and up setups, so on my med/heavy setup I will use a reel that can support the 40#-60# range, that way I can tie on a different leader and have the appropriate weight for what is needed. Same with my 60#-100# setup, quick leader changes when the bite varies.

I am one of those guys that does not like bringing a lot of rods and equipment with me, just my style.  I will be going with a rental rods if I did not bring heavy enough equipment, or cannot purchase all of the equipment needed for the trip, prior to departure. 

Thanks again for the help SoCalAngler!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier