Vintage Penn or copy?

Started by erikpowell, September 20, 2013, 01:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Bula All,

This is a reel that has been awarded to top scoring anglers in our local gamefishing club since 1980.

Saw it on display at a friends house and was wondering if anyone can ID it for us.

It appears to be a 10/0 size of Penn design but no markings whatsoever. Nice design flair on the star and eccentric lever.
The massive marine bronze rod clamp is that thing hanging on the posts. The handle appears to made of many vulcanized rubber strips overlaying each other.

Interesting piece...

Can anyone identify it?   Enjoy!

bajaandy

Interesting piece! I can't wait to hear those in the know chime in about what it is.
I tink, therefore I am.

erikpowell

I know, eh?
Another thing that's cool is the handle nut retainer is like a second arm and held down with the counterweight screw... heavy but no doubt effective...
Let's see if Sal can tell us.... though Justin may have an advantage; I think this reel hails from the southern hemisphere...
what say fellas?

Alto Mare

That's a tough one, however, it does show some parts that are similar to the Pflueger.
I'm going to guesstimate that it is an early Pflueger Atlapac. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

raumati01

The star drag, lever and the two part handle look like the Ocean city equivalent of a senator to me. An old one too, here's one from the 60s  http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12-0-reel

Bucktail

I was thinking Ocean City as well.
Just a jig-a-lo

redsetta

QuoteThe star drag, lever and the two part handle look like the Ocean city equivalent of a senator to me.
Pretty much spot on I reckon Andrew (and Bucktail).
The curved clutch lever is pure Ocean City - at least in my experience.
Albert (Makule) is one of our resident oracles, especially where Atlapacs etc are concerned.
Will look forward to his opinion.
Cheers, Justin

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

I think this is a hogde podge reel, but the side plates definitely look Ocean City.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You might be right Daron, I see Ocean City parts and Pflueger's parts:-\. I've only seen frame posts as those on a Pflueger.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

It really does look Ocean City but an early one.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

raumati01

There might be more clues here  http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/ocean-city-salt-water-named-reels.html

I'm still surprised no one has done a similar site for Penn yet.

Marlinmate

Post it up at ORCA...Old Reel Collectors Association.

Those reel guru's will let you know in about 2 seconds what you have.

http://orca-online.org/

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Penn Chronology

The reel is made by Ocean City. I am one of those ORCA Egg Heads....... ;)

It is a Ocean City, Panama model trade reel made in the 1930's.

The one pictured here has a custom handle knob and is a 12/O but is the same reel you guys are questioning. When Ocean City sold this reel under their own name, they put a Panama Logo plate on the head plate but Ocean City also traded their reels through Montague. When sold in the Montague catalog, Ocean City left the head plate blank. The reel you guys are trying to identify is a Montague Trade Reel made by Ocean City.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on November 19, 2014, 06:35:19 AM
The reel is made by Ocean City. I am one of those ORCA Egg Heads....... ;)

It is a Ocean City, Panama model trade reel made in the 1930's.

The one pictured here has a custom handle knob and is a 12/O but is the same reel you guys are questioning. When Ocean City sold this reel under their own name, they put a Panama Logo plate on the head plate but Ocean City also traded their reels through Montague. When sold in the Montague catalog, Ocean City left the head plate blank. The reel you guys are trying to identify is a Montague Trade Reel made by Ocean City.

Hey Michael, I'll give you $200 right now for that Ocean City 12/0, but that likely won't even buy the handle. Looks like it's built similar to a penn, right down to that silly little nob that penn put on first year 9/0 & 12/0. How you supposed to fight a big fish with that little nob that you can only reel with a couple fingertips.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteHey Michael, I'll give you $200 right now for that Ocean City 12/0, but that likely won't even buy the handle. Looks like it's built similar to a penn, right down to that silly little nob that penn put on first year 9/0 & 12/0. How you supposed to fight a big fish with that little nob that you can only reel with a couple fingertips.

Those small knobs did not last too long, by the late 1930's Ocean City remedied the small handle problem. Here is a scan from the Ocean City 1938 catalog:

An interesting point about these super heavy duty reels, concerning the handle knob, was that it was attached to the handle blade with a custom made bolt and nut. I was simply a matter of removing the nut and the knob could be interchanged with the later larger torpedo shaped knobs. Most old timers feel that the Ocean City big game reels we better quality than the Penn reels. Ocean City design in the 1930's was engineered in the 1920's to higher standards than Penn reels and were also more expensive. The introduction of Penn products kind of caused Ocean City to drop its prices to match the price of Penn. In doing that, it caused Ocean City to loose money.
              The story of Ocean City is a classic story of products that were made too good for the price. Their product was so good they put themselves out of business. That happened to many makers whose companies were founded before the Depression.

I do not own this reel but if I did, I do not believe $200 would would buy it. This reel is in the $700+ range