Shark fishing

Started by Shark Hunter, September 21, 2013, 06:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i finally watched the first video.  it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Just hope no-one looses some fingers to some of those fish because of irresponsible dehooking and not following common safety practices by being involved in the maho effect.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

The second one was the one that got me. Taking that hook out in the surf, with his hand inches from his mouth. ::)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

My wife is in the medical profession, and after talking to her it has come to my attention that modern medicine allows us to keep some humans alive that nature would probably of just done without. I believe the individuals in these videos qualify.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on September 26, 2013, 11:29:30 PM
My wife is in the medical profession, and after talking to her it has come to my attention that modern medicine allows us to keep some humans alive that nature would probably of just done without. I believe the individuals in these videos qualify.

Ron

:o :o :o  ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Nice! I saw it on SOS, never got a chance to comment. I've grabbed long shank 12/0 Js, it's kinda scary with those devil lemons! I stuck my hand through the gills one time on a BT we kept, long pliers or dehooker is a must
Grayson Lanier

CapeFish

I managed to get some pictures loaded finally!

A friend's beast of a black ray, hope he doesn't mind me posting it here, he got it out in 1/2 hour, straightsticking it, +- 170kg. He used a Finno3 OFC 30 with 40lb line. Note the cheap quality sand spike- STUFFED

This one took 3 hours, nearly spooled me a few times - 700m of line, about 130 kg

Cheers

Leon

PS If I am hi-jacking, please say so and I will move the post

Alto Mare

Amazing!
You know, 3 hours is a long time, one of my custom Penn would have saved you a couple of hours on that bad boy ;) ;D.
Thanks for sharing Leon.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 27, 2013, 09:10:07 AM
Amazing!
You know, 3 hours is a long time, one of my custom Penn would have saved you a couple of hours on that bad boy ;) ;D.
Thanks for sharing Leon.
Sal

:) :) :) Pleasure, thanks for the offer but will need a harness to hold on and a cart to get it to the beach, kayak to get bait out plus it would have taken 4 hours because the gear ratio is so low  :) The carbontex decided to give up on that day, but I was also too scared to put too much pressure, was a male fish and it just did not want to stop. My tactic was to let it run as much as it wanted to and go after it along the beach and then stick my thumb in when the line got too low and then walk it up the beach every time it came in a bit and then run down to gain line.

floating doc

Landing a big fish under such difficult circumstances is a great accomplishment.

As for the video,  these people are Darwin Award material.
Central Florida

saltydog

Very nice fish and a great job with that small tackle.
MacArthur

CapeFish

Quote from: saltydog on September 27, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Very nice fish and a great job with that small tackle.

Thanks, braid backing, modern powerful reels and strong graphite rods allows you to get big fish out much quicker, in the past it mostly ended in tears due to getting spooled and the drags not able to hold out if you were using a reel that you could still cast with.

saltydog

I usually use a Jigmaster 500 or a 4/0 for casting from shore for sharks, but they do take practice to master the bigger reels.
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Leon! ;D
That's what I'm talking about!
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!