penn 12VSX lost low gear

Started by shanara, September 22, 2013, 09:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanara

I have just purchased a new 12VSX from a reputable US dealer(I live in the UK) on ebay. After spooling with line and setting the drag-15lbs at strike ( the low speed was working ok). I took the reel out of the box the next day and low speed has gone, I put the reel into low speed and the handle just spins freely (backwards and forwards) regardless of drag lever position, drag is applied to the spool.
When I change back to high gear it engages OK.
Is there an easy fix- sending back to US will be a load of hassell
Also the adjustable clicker knob is stiff but seems to do the job- is this normal.

Regards Gary

josa1

Interesting!  Take a look at the 50VSX Drive Gear and Shifting Mechanism post I did.  I think if you open the reel up you'll find the retaining ring that holds the low gear drive plate on is broken, or possibly, it just came off the drive shaft. :o

The posting is in the Penn International section.

Here is the link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7972.0

Take a look at the second photo.  It shows clearly the drive plate and the retaining ring.

Also, would be great if you would let us know what you find.

josa1

shanara

Thanks for your advice, as its a new reel I have contacted penn in the UK and they were very helpful are going to fix it under warranty

I have passed on your comments and those of a guy who had the same thing happen with his 12vsx over on bloodydecks.

wonder if alan had any issues with his?

Regards Gary