Update on 50 narrow

Started by turboal, May 22, 2010, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi all, frame posts and reel stand done. cutting and narrowing of
spool being done today ::) ::). pinon spool shaft next. bought a new style dura drag setup last week and all new frame screws. ;D ;D ;D

alantani

We need pictures!!!!!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

turboal

Alan, will take pics for you when i put it all togeather. ;D ;D ;D

Phinaddict

Anyone ever hear from Al? I wonder if this all came together?
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

turboal

Hi All, I found a few of the pics i lost. pics are of the 50 and a 20 i used for parts and
measurements.

turboal

more pics. cut the spool down to 2" same as a 20 reel

turboal

more pics, used the bridge, cross bars and reel foot from the 20 reel
pinion/spool axle shortened to match the 20 reel length, HT-100 Drag washer used
fresh coat of Cal's grease

turboal

more pics. all the parts assembled and greased

George4741

Very impressive, thanks for the pix.  It looks like quite a brute and the ultimate in narrow Internationals.  Since I presume the sideplates are of a different diameter than the Int 20, did you have to bend or modify the 20 reelfoot to fit?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

doradoben

Interesting project.. What do you intend to use this reel for??

erikpowell

That reel is crying out for a kolekar grip  ;D   Hows that handle work for ya?
Cheers

turboal

George, all i had to do with the reel foot was put in new screw holes. by making the width the same as the 20
and  using the cross posts and bridge the reel foot fit inside nicely.

turboal

Eric, I have many handles that i can use, But i really like the size of this one
it is just the right fit for my XXXXL hands and gives me all the leverage i could want.

Dora, this is for fishing on the East Coast, we don't need as much line here.
it will hold all the braid i need for Tuna or Shark and any big fish i go for up
and down the coast. the object to building this reel was a lighter and easier to
balance and handle rod and reel that you could use for long periods of time
and not get tired out fast.

Alto Mare

Very interesting. Could you reveal how you modified the spool? Cutting and reassembly.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

turboal

I will try to explain how i made the spool, I had to cut a section of the center out to get the right width.
I had a piece of alum tubing machined to fit inside the spool so i could press the two half's together over it
to make it one piece again. I used Stud & Bearing Loctite, then i drilled and taped 3- 10/32 X.500  set screws
thru each half 120deg. apart. (around the dia. where they mate together) to hold it all together.
I hope this is not to confusing for you to understand.