Stradic 4000FH

Started by 2Rod, September 22, 2013, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Rod

Does anyone know if a reel handle assembly from a different Shimano reel will fit this unit?  I am searching for an all-metal replacement due to cracking of the plastic conical base on the RD 7990 handle assembly.

Thanks.

alantani

we need someone here that knows all of these spinners.  it certainly isn't me.  anyone?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Nope, work on a lot of them.   Just to many to know whats what.
Good chance many will fit.....??
Might try a shop and take measurements with you - or the reel itself?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

philaroman

GREAT reel w/ crappy handle assembly & suspect bail-return mechanism!  Off the top of my head:

methinks, the Stradic FH handle has those 4 little divots where it meets the main gear, which has 4 little matching teeth (rather than a totally flat connection, like older models).  You can use older Stradic handles w/ the rosewood knob -- just add some sort of dense, compressible washer/liner, so the 4 little teeth don't wear down...  OR, just file the damn things off -- they don't do anything accept make older handles "incompatible".  The heavy nylon collars on old, honest Shimano handles DON'T CRACK!!!

an all-metal handle may be tough to find -- all-metal US-model handles tend to be direct drive (screw-in, rather than through-the-gear).  You may have to go JDM (Biomaster is the JDM better version of Stradic).  Alternatively, you may be able to upgrade to Sustain FD direct-drive gears/handle...  either way, it's EXPENSIVE!!!

if you're in the mood to SPEND (LOL), I have a very beefy near-mint Biomaster LS all-metal folding handle, but it has the smaller Septon(?) grip -- not the T-bar more appropriate for 4000-size.  Also, if you have a handle screw that's separate from the cover, I have the machined aluminum covers from SustainFA/TwinPowerXT that fit (no idea why the screw & cover on 2500FH are separate, while 4000FH schematics show the cheaper one-piece).

2Rod

After several conversations with Shimano customer service, I was told a handle assy from either a Sedona 4000FD (RD12854) or a Sahara 4000FD (RD12297) will fit this reel.  I am going to order the Sahara handle assy and will post confirmation that it fits the Stradic 4000FH when complete.

philaroman

I thought you wanted "all metal"???

Shimano-North America CS reps will ONLY discuss US models & steer you toward products less than 5 years old, whenever possible.  They'll avoid anything from Shimano-Japan, like the plaugue -- it makes their inferior Malaysian/Chinese stuff look bad & they fear customer outrage over astronomical JDM prices.

there's no question that your reel can use 2500-4000 SymetreFI/SaharaFD handles -- the machined-aluminum arm is actually nicer than StradicFH (Sedona will fit, but it has a cheap die-cast arm). ALL these newer handles have cheap, brittle, plastic collars like your cracked original "conical base"; the grips are permanently attached & can't be easily replaced; and they're likely to wear out after several years of heavy use.

if you want DURABLE, you have 2 options: adapt an older handle OR pay through the nose for JDM parts (a new/mint Biomaster or Ultegra Advance handle would be a bargain for $60, IF you could find one)

2Rod

I would like an all-metal replacement, but, $60 is more than I am willing to pay to get my reel back in working shape.  Based on that, the Sahara handle seems to be my best option.

philaroman

the Symetre/Sahara handle ain't bad -- I'm actually using the 2500-size on my Biomaster, because it's lighter & simpler than the bulky all-metal original folding handle that I don't like...  I'm just resigned to the fact that the plastic collar can crack & the grip will eventually wear out.

get the Sahara for now & keep an eye on eBay for a busted Biomaster or Ultegra that looks like your Stradic (2003-models, I guess)...  or, Sustain 4000FD, for that matter.  With a few years to bargain-shop, you may well find one for <$60 & it will give you all kinds of goodies: upgrade handle, rotor/bail, spare spool(s), etc.  It's kinda' silly, but high-end "parts" reels often sell for the price of 1 major part & the rest is GRAVY

2Rod

After a couple additional conversations with Shimano Customer Service, I ordered an All-Metal (woo-hoo) handle assembly from a Shimano Stradic 4000 MgFA.  The part number is RD9153, and the cost was $34.  Winner!