Makaira 50w capacity

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, September 22, 2013, 05:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

How much 200lb hollow core should I be able to get on here with a roughly 100ft 200lb mono topshot, it it was filled to the gills?
Grayson Lanier

alantani

not sure, but why 200#?  i go as high as 130# hollow.  it's my understanding that it is not physically possible to break 130# spectra with a rod and reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Partially because of abrasion and also so I don't have to put a sleeve between the 130 braid and 200lb mono. This reel will be pushed to the max, likeley to get interesting to see what will happen. I might run some 130jb for backing to 200jb to 200 mono, that might work for me to. The 200 really is unbreakable from what I've heard
Grayson Lanier

locknut

According to the Okuma website and a line capacity calculator on my computer you will get about 600yds of 130lb @0.02" on the reel so about 250yrds of 200lb @ 0.03". I  have trouble breaking 80lb braid 130lb would bring you to your knees I hate to think what 200lb would do. Please  post the photos when it all goes bang.

Ron Jones

200# Spectra?
Just make sure your bolted to the boat and it is tied to the pier with 5 inch mooring lines. Otherwise, call us when you get to Australia, we'll send a boat. ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bunnlevel Sharker

A good friend of mine uses 200lb braid, they filled one up and got 600yds of 130jb to 250-300 or so of 130 packed tight. I should hit Africa first, so I will give Jeri a call ;D I haven't gotten take down yet with heavy line, I harness up for really heavy stuff or ride the rail
Grayson Lanier