STRIPERS ON THE SAN JAUN LAKE POWELL

Started by HOLEINTHEWATER, September 23, 2013, 10:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOLEINTHEWATER

Ron Jones

I don't see those fish being palatable after spending that much time in the sun. Are they considered evasive?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

HOLEINTHEWATER

YES, WHAT YOU DON'T FILLET, THEY WANT YOU TO RECYCLE. THERE IS NO LIMIT. THEY EAT ALL THE SHAD SO THE REST OF THE FISH SUFFER. HERE IS A VIDEO I TOOK EARLIER THIS YEAR. WHAT WEREN'T FILLET WHERE RECYCLED.

Ron Jones

Cool beans than,
I love fresh water striper fishing, maybe I'll run to Powell next year.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broadway

I just don't see the sport in pulling fish out of the water from 5' away only to leave them flapping in the dirt/sun to die.  I understand the powers that be say it's okay, but is that even fishing?
So, the stripers eat all the shad? Okay, that's what stripers eat! What other fish suffer from the stripers eating their normal diet of shad?  Stripers aren't known to be a very ferocious fish, so why are they beating all of your other fish to the dinner bell....  maybe you guys just have lazy fish in Lake Powell?? Who put the stripers in Lake Powell? If they're so evasive maybe you should throw some snakeheads in there for good measure.  Some day you guys will regret what your doing to your striper population.  Just ask some NY/NJ head boats that had a moratorium on stripers for a few years. 
PS- The very least you could do is hit them in the head :-\
Dom

Dominick

I agree with Dom.  Do you know the answers to the questions Dom asks?  Where do the stripers come from?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Awful lot of poor people could get fed with those and I bet some of the churches in the area wouldn't turn them down. Here in Texas they would throw us in jail for leaving fish even shad on the bank under there wonton waste of game rules.Those fish were stocked there by fish and game but now it looks like they don't want them anymore. That's a pity we don't have a problem with the fish eating all the shad here we have plenty, want a couple billion from our lakes.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

I don't understand the term recycled with regards to stripers in Lake powell.  Its really sad to see all that fish go to waste when there are hungry people in the US and probably in your neighborhood. Woulr rather see a kids derby where all the fish are donated to charties.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Did some reading tonight, and Salty Dog hit the nail on the head... the powers that be put them there.  I also read that they encourage people to take as many as they want.  Those stripers bring you guys a heck of a lot more tourist bucks then your shad do.  When they run out of stripers maybe Lake Powell will be famous for there shad fishery... sign me up, I'll bring my cane pole and string
After being disheartened by the site of all those stripers in the dirt I didn't even think of how many people they would feed, WOW... it's a shame.
I work really hard to catch my stripers, but the best part is releasing them when I know most everyone else would keep it and it benefits the fishery for me to do so, win-win.  I hope you appreciate someday what you have.  I don't blame you for the fish/game lack of common sense, but those videos/ photos are a little painful to watch.
Dom

Ron Jones

No different than what happens to salmon by some American Indians. If the fish are plants then they are a resource to be used how the planters see fit. I couldn't do it but if it is what the fish are there for it is what the fish are there for.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

HOLEINTHEWATER

WE DID NOT LEAVE THEM THERE. WE FILLET THE ONES THAT WERE WORTH DOING, AND SANK THE REST. THERE IS GOING TO BE A LARGE DIE OFF THIS WINTER, OF THE BIGGER STRIPERS, THEY ARE STARVING. MOST OF THE STRIPERS OVER 4LBS ARE NOTHING BUT HEADS AND TAILS. ONE LARGE STRIPER CAN LAY UP TO A MILLION EGGS. THEY TOOK THE LIMIT OFF WALLEYE THIS YEAR.TOO MANY IN THEIR FISH SURVEYS  THERE IS NO OTHER LAKE LIKE POWELL.  A SLOW DAY ON CATCHING SMALL MOUTH AND LARGE MOUTH IS 50 FISH. WE RELEASE MOST BASS. BUT WAYNE SAYS YOU SHOULD KEEP YOUR LIMIT OF YOUR SMALLER  SMALLMOUTH, WHICH IS 20 A DAY.  STRIPERS CAN BE WHAT EVER. IF YOU GET IN TO A FEEDING SCHOOL.  FOR INFORMATION ON POWELL GO TO WAYNESWORDS.COM WAYNE IS THE FISH BIOLIGEST FOR POWELL.
THE BOIL THAT I'M POSTING WE WERE IN WAS 1/4 MILE WIDE AND AND AS FAR DOWN THE LAKE AS YOU COULD SEE. IN THE SAME AREA.

broadway

How exactly do you sink a striped bass? You're saying you spent the time to either poke or remove all those swim bladders? :-\
At some point in time someone is gonna have to ask themselves why are all of these fish populations exploding?  They aren't able to explode without a food source. PS- Wayne is probably the one that put the stripers in Lake Powell back in 1974/75.  I guess I'll look for the answers (not on Wayneswords) to my questions that I asked yesterday on my own.
Have fun while it lasts!
I'm done with this disturbing topic,
Dom