Changing cam in Avet LX 6.0

Started by Skip Dana, March 28, 2010, 12:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip Dana

I recently switched back to Avet LX 6.0's for the style of fishing we do in SE florida, mostly kite fishing for sailfish, kings, tunas, etc. I had fished avets for years and switch to tyrnos 16's, love the tyrnos but wanted a little bit quicker reels for the kite. The first two I have gotten have the drags setup for kingfish meaning they are not very aggressive and the full drag is double the strike. Meaning 4#'s at strike 8#'s at full, which is great for what we do around here. My question is on my last set of avets they had South Florida cams in them that did away with the live bait setting, or as I say it the first clunk when you come out of freespool. Do you know if avet still has these cams and how hard are they to install. Thanks very much in advance.

Skip Dana

alantani

you need to have a light touch, but you can notch the cam with the cutting wheel of a dremmel.  a guy was complaining that his avet lever was blowing past strike and straight to full without stopping at strike first.  what i did was take that cutting wheel and dig the notchs a little deeper.  note that there are two of them at 180 degrees from each other.  just don't dig too deep!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Skip Dana

That is about the biggest complaint I had with my avets before that it was too easy for an untrained hand, I do a lot of charter fishing, to push the reel all the way to full. If I notch out the cam deeper it will make it harder for the reel to go into full? Also what about getting rid of the first notch on the cam where the live bait setting stops the lever?

alantani

there is a little trial and (hopefully not too much) error with this one.  you want to notch the cam so that it will "stick" under pressure when you throw the reel into gear.  you literally touch the cutting wheel to the cam in both spots (180 degrees apart), then put it back together and try it.  if it doesn't stick enough, then pull it apart and cut it down just a bit deeper.  repeat this process until you get the lever to "lock" the way you want.  to much and it will stick too much.  i hope this makes sense. 

kimbo

Does this apply to the HX 5/2 as well?

alantani