any idea's on how to build a megladon penn senator 32/0?

Started by pcde123, September 25, 2013, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

, kinda old, but it caught my eye and i started to wonder...how?? like how would u build the spool??? 
imagine fillling that thing with high quality braid, jerry  brown braid.....22,000yards of 135 lb, 4500$ on line......kinda fun to think about.....but in the end seems excessive

Shark Hunter

I have seen this before as well. I'm pretty sure He just put two 16/0 spools together. These spools are pretty much unobtainable now. I think if we could find some one to machine the spool and posts. We could be set. Just use 14/0 side plates and gears. I don't think you could fish it unless you were a body builder. I fish with a 12/0 now and have a 14 and 16/0. They are pretty heavy as it is.
Life is Good!

Makule

In my younger days, I used to extend the spools of Senators (4/0 to 6/0 width, and 6/0 to 9/0 width).  Mostly, I did Templars 1419 3/4 to 1420 1/2 or the reverse.

The procedure was to cut the spool in half, and then fit a sleeve on the center portion to extend it to whatever width was desired.  Was very tedious and painstaking work because the difference between the hole and the shaft had to be -.0005" (hole 1/2 thousandth smaller), and cutting a hole several inches to that tolerance, and that was only about 1/2" in diameter was not easy.  The sleeve would be pressed onto the shaft, then pinned.  If the work was not up to par, the spool would wobble or push apart.

Working with the spool from a 16/0 or 14/0 would be easier since the hole/shaft sizes would be larger and easier to hold tolerance over a greater width.  Also, since the overall weight would not be as much of a concern as with the smaller reels, the wall of the sleeve that was placed over the shaft could be thicker (less likely to distort when pressed).

I'd be concerned about having such a great width on the spool, and what effects it might have on the bearings.  Quite honestly, my preference would be to have a solid frame machined and, if that's the case, would be better to cut the spool too (make it larger in diameter and not so wide) and create a whole new profile.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Tere would be absolutely no point in having that reel honestly, that guy if it's he's the one I'm thinking of was a bit different, he used the em rods for pin rigging and never caught anything. All you need is a 18/0 everol
Grayson Lanier

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 25, 2013, 10:54:43 PM
Tere would be absolutely no point in having that reel honestly.......

You could say the same about a large % of the reels and rifles I have but I "wanted them"  ;D  Who in their right mind has two 375H&H rifles, a 375x8mm Rem and a 416.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

What on Earth is wrong with having 2 375H&Hs? If you had one set up for bush and one set up for the big plains game/Elk you'd be set.

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Keta on September 25, 2013, 11:21:29 PM
Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 25, 2013, 10:54:43 PM
Tere would be absolutely no point in having that reel honestly.......

You could say the same about a large % of the reels and rifles I have but I "wanted them"  ;D  Who in their right mind has two 375H&H rifles, a 375x8mm Rem and a 416.
Exactly Lee! You wanted them. We all do some crazy things because we want it. Its our Nature.
Work Hard! Play Hard! I just bought a new penn 14/0 because I wanted it. I already have two! ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

One 375 is a NIB Winchester Safari Grade, the other is my stainless 20" barreled SE Alaska Bear rifle.  The 375-8mm Rem is a match for my bear rifle.  I elk hunt with a Mauser 338-06 or a Ruger 300 Win Mag.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Lee!
I have two safes of some serious Guns! Don't get me started! ;)
We all need some Man hobbies to keep us sane.. Fishing and Guns! It doesn't get any more American than That! What's going on with those 114H SS handle arms Buddy?
You got my Shark handle ready yet? :D
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 26, 2013, 06:47:25 AM
What's going on with those 114H SS handle arms Buddy?

They are cut and I'm slowly hand fitting the gear sleeve holes between other things.  Fall is not a slack time for me.  Right now I'm working on 12-60 yokes for Allan's BP SS gears and WPS needed help for a large pack order.... on top of putting the irrigation system away for the winter and trying to get to the coast for some fishing.

Mark Twain

alantani

guns wouldl be too much of a distraction.  i sneak onto calguns every day.  not good for my checkbook.  the smartest thing i ever did was to buy a small safe that fits perfectly in the closet. i would have to demolish the house to move the safe now.  it's full.  there is no more room, so i can't buy anything more.  but i am looking for another early 1950's browning hi power.........   ;D

now, back to the subject of building a penn 32/0!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

having issues with handle arms.  gotta get those holes tapped, and it is not as easy as it looks.  the stainless steel is pretty hard. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Use cheap canola oil for cutting oil and a good tap handle and they go well.

Mark Twain

Makule

QuoteWho in their right mind has two 375H&H rifles, a 375x8mm Rem and a 416.

I fail to see the insanity in that.  You want em, you got them.  End of story.  What's crazy about that?  It's far and away from an obsession, and not all obsessions are bad or clinical anyway.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.