Has anyone here Double-Dogged a Penn Mag Power

Started by WCFLA, December 11, 2013, 01:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCFLA

Hey y'all,

Has anyone here Double-Dogged a Penn Mag Power? If you have, can you post a photo of how you did it and what it looks like? I'd like to hook my 980 up, but I am afraid that I'd screw it up. Or maybe someone has a link to a tutorial of a similar reel that I can use as a reference? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Danny

floating doc

I've thought about it.  I have all three sizes. I don't know what dogs they take. Keta (Lee) asked me to send him a dog for my 970 so he could see about getting some made in stainless. I've been bogged down and haven't followed up.
Central Florida

WCFLA

I have an extra dog and spring on hand. I bought extra just in case. Im gonna get a dremel tool (hopefully) this weekend so that I can start grinding away.

Regards,
Dan

floating doc

Central Florida

WCFLA

WCFLA

Oh, wait! I lied. I lost a bid on eBay for a Mag Power 970 :/

Dan

Porthos

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281226012284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Don't think it was this one since I was the losing bidder on it. We may be in danger of bidding against each other in the future. You must be aware that some of these bidders are collectors who will never get these reels wet and are willing to pay top dollar.

Are you looking to have two functioning Mag Powers, or are you looking to have a parts unit?

WCFLA

I'm looking for another Mag Power to use. I have my 980 paired up with a Power Stick (PC 3811 M7') that I use for big snook and smallish tarpon. I want a 970 (or even another 980) for the same reason. I eventually want to have a twin pair of combos for the different types of fishing that I do and the different species that I target. I'd like a narrow reel for a few reasons. One being that I have never owned one. I would like to double dog my Mag Power(s) and add some stainless steel pieces to (HOTROD) it. The 980 is near and dear to me because is was the first "Nice" Penn that I've owned. I've had a few other Penn Reels, but the Mag Power really felt more high end to me. I also think that I am somewhere in the middle as far as a person who is going to use their reels to catch fish, and a reel collector :) I look on Craigslist (Tampa and Fayetteville) all the time and my wife thinks that I'm nuts when I watch "River Monsters" with a rod and reel in my hand, yelling "Fish On!, Fish On!" in the living room, while sitting in my OK Prowler 13'. Whatever.