New to the site

Started by 4/0, September 25, 2013, 02:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4/0

Hi all,

Butch here, aka 4/0. Great site here with a lot of knowledge.

Grew up on the gulf coast of Florida fishin black 4/0's before the made the red ones. It was amazing what we did to those reels when we were kids and they still worked, well most of them.

Thanks,

Butch

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Bryan Young

Welcome Butch.  Glad to have you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcoem to the "neighborhood"...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Welcome Butch.  Butch was my nickname growing up in NY.  My family and old time friends still call me Butch.  It's a comforting sound.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Butch!
Me and my son just went on a fishing trip and he fished with a Black 4/0. He didn't get a chance to see what it could handle. I put the upgraded 5 stack carbon fiber drag in it. Hopefully next time.
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, I'm working on a 4/0N (Grouper Special) right now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Welcome 4/0, make yourself at home.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Welcome, Butch! Watch out for Dominick (the other Butch). Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

4/0

Wow, appreciate the welcome.

I have a old black 4/0, more of a sentimental reel, has the old white handle. Have two red ones that I rebuilt with smoothies. I troll a lot and really like the tld 25's. I have 100 JB on two of those but I think I will go to to 80 or 65 on the others mainly because the 100 is a real bear to splice.

Also have a couple 30's and two 50's, always have a planer running on one of the 50's with a Blue white Islander. It's my hot rod for Wahoo.

Speedmasters are big around here because everyone uses them for Kingfish Tournments. I have a bagfull of them to work on sitting here now so I will get very familar with these pretty quick.

Thanks,

Butch

alantani

butch, the old black side plate 4/0 senator 113's really benefit from a stainless steel gear sleeve.  you can also change out the drag stack from a "1+3" to a "1+5" system using a carbontex drag under the main gear and five of the #6-60's inside, also adding two metal washers.  

for the tld 25's, upgrade the drags to carbontex.  i also have a very nice stainless steel handle arm that fits a 5/0 trolling grip.  you will be amazed at the difference.  there is also a drag and handle upgrade for the speedmaster.  the options go on an on...... 

4/0

I read the speed master tutorial and  will be in touch with you next week on that, want to build one with the drag and handle upgrade and try it out. I'm looking for an old tld -15 handle now ;)

Thanks,

Butch

alantani

i have one.  it's used and will be priced accordingly. let me know!