Reel for surface Jigging??? 30-40# Line w/ Calstar 900M

Started by sundaytrucka, September 25, 2013, 10:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

If this is posted in the wrong section please let me know.

I am looking for a good surface iron reel for my Calstar 900M, 30-40# rating. I am having the reel backed with 65# spectra and a 3'-5', 30-40# fluorocarbon leader.  This rod setup is primarily used for 30# surface jigging, but I plan to use #40 for long range trips out of San Diego, for yellowtail, barracuda, smaller wahoo and school-size tuna. (I also use this rod for live bait, though rarely.) 

Looking hard at the Penn Fathom 25N, and the Fathom 30.

-Do you think the Penn Baja Special would be too much reel for surface iron application?

What reels would you guys recommend?

Thank you for any input. -Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Ron Jones

Can you tell us a little more about what you are looking for? Does the Fathom interest you because of it's drag system, aluminum frame or? Lots and lots of options in this line range.

I personally use a Diawa SLH-VX20 for most work like this but it sounds like you want to spend a little more money than that. A hot rodded Narrow Jigmaster would work well also.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sundaytrucka

I am truly looking far a reel that can cast extremely well, and has the capability to easily handle 30-40# test and its equivalent drag; anything else is just icing on the cake.  I am looking at the 25N for its drag ability, dis-engaging spool, and narrow frame/spool.  I am not set on it, I am more so leaning towards a narrow reel, and there are not many options for "smaller", narrow jigging reels. (Wish narrow 3/0 size reels were widely available.) Daiwa has an equivalent narrow in the Saltist Black Gold 35, but sacrifices line capacity and a little drag ability.

If I step away from the narrows, I am looking at the Daiwa BG30, Shimano TLD 20-40 (upgraded), Jigmaster upgraded; I had a Newell 338 on it before, but just did not like casting and retrieving with it.  My favorite casting reel so far has been the Daiwa SL20/30SH, but they are not enough, as far as drag and line capacity, and do not come with an aluminum spool.

I can be winded in my explanations, but a great caster and 30-40# line capability. Narrow is wanted, but open to anything.

SoCalAngler

I have both the Fathom 25N and a Baja Special and IMO both have their place for the surface iron. I use to use the 25N for 25-30 lb long topshost for local surface iron fishing, trips 3 days and less out of southern California landings, and it works well. I was a little worried about its cranking power with its 6/1 gears though. Now I use it for bait and last month we got into great BFT fishing with tuna ranging from 35-50 lbs and the reel handled them no problem. I like its narrow body but for me I wanted something with a lower profile so my Diawa BG 20H filles that nitch very well. In these shorter trips I really don't see a need to go over 25 lb topshots. Two weeks ago I was at the Cortez Bank catching yellowtail up to 40 lbs on the 25 lb test and never felt I needed to step up to 30 lb. Well I did hook one "no-see-um" and the fish after pulling out about 200 yards of line I got rocked but I think it would of happened anyway even if I was fishing the 30 lb.

On longer trips over 4 days in length I use my 113HN with long toppers of 40 lb test. The reels offers good cranking power if you happen to get picked up by a 60-100 lb tuna while fishing for yellowtail or wahoo. Also I fish in Loreto down in Baja and the 113HN fishes well if you get picked up by bycatch such as sailfish or marlin. On these type of trips I mostly fish 40 lb test and feel the Baja Special is better suited for that or if I need to step up to 50 lb toppers. I sure would not want to try to catch the billfish or larger tuna with a reel that has  6/1 gears.

So for me the Baja Special is too much for 25-30 lb toppers and the 25N is not my first choice for a 40-50 lb  reel.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

check this out http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8427.0. have the 20/40 and love it. btw i hotrodded "Taninized" it. will hold a lot of 65 lb braid...

sundaytrucka

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 26, 2013, 05:30:45 AM
I have both the Fathom 25N and a Baja Special and IMO both have their place for the surface iron. I use to use the 25N for 25-30 lb long topshost for local surface iron fishing, trips 3 days and less out of southern California landings, and it works well. I was a little worried about its cranking power with its 6/1 gears though. Now I use it for bait and last month we got into great BFT fishing with tuna ranging from 35-50 lbs and the reel handled them no problem. I like its narrow body but for me I wanted something with a lower profile so my Diawa BG 20H filles that nitch very well. In these shorter trips I really don't see a need to go over 25 lb topshots. Two weeks ago I was at the Cortez Bank catching yellowtail up to 40 lbs on the 25 lb test and never felt I needed to step up to 30 lb. Well I did hook one "no-see-um" and the fish after pulling out about 200 yards of line I got rocked but I think it would of happened anyway even if I was fishing the 30 lb.

On longer trips over 4 days in length I use my 113HN with long toppers of 40 lb test. The reels offers good cranking power if you happen to get picked up by a 60-100 lb tuna while fishing for yellowtail or wahoo. Also I fish in Loreto down in Baja and the 113HN fishes well if you get picked up by bycatch such as sailfish or marlin. On these type of trips I mostly fish 40 lb test and feel the Baja Special is better suited for that or if I need to step up to 50 lb toppers. I sure would not want to try to catch the billfish or larger tuna with a reel that has  6/1 gears.

So for me the Baja Special is too much for 25-30 lb toppers and the 25N is not my first choice for a 40-50 lb  reel.

I am kind of in that dilemma...the 25N and equivalent models for jigging are perfect for 30#, but 40# might be pushing it, not that the reel(s) cannot handle the line and use, but, as you mentioned for the longer LR trips, the gearing and cranking power may not be there if a larger, unexpected fish inhales the jig.  I personally feel comfortable with lighter line, more fun to me, and if I have to fight a fish for 20-60 min because of my reel and its gearing, oh well, roll with the punches type of thing. This is exactly why I am asking this question, I do not want a local jigging reel and then a LR jigging reel.  After saying this, Thanks MelB, I am now leaning more towards the Shimano TLD 20-40S (Tani Upgrades), good capacity, more than capable of 30-40# line, good drag, and a great jigging gear ratio (4.3:1), IMO.

I am already going to get the Baja Special for long range Yo-Yo jigging and live bait fly-lining on a 40#-60# leader setup, backed by 80# spectra. (Also going to be my go to dropper loop/Yo-Yo reel for local SoCal yellowtail trips. Great reel!

Thank you for your input SoCalAngler, you have helped me out a few times with more than useful information.

Ron Jones

If the gear ratio truly has you concerned then maybe build a Tank and switch from 3.2 to 4.0 gears as needed? A little out of the box, but definatly doable.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

I have a TLD 15 with aftermarket handle, Carbontex drag and bumped up bellevelle washers and it sits as a backup reel/loaner now as I opt to fish other reels. The 900M is more of a 25-30 lb test rod and I feel you may like the 25N's narrow frame over the 20/40. I also like the features of the Penn over the Shimano as well. I fished my 25N on BWC 270H-8 before I moved it over to a 30 lb bait setup matched to a BWC 970 and it worked very well for the surface iron but like I said I wanted something with a lower profile for the local stuff. If your going to get the 113HN anyway you will need another stick to strap it on if your looking to fish 40lb and over toppers, I have mine matched to a 6480. I'm not a diehard iron man so I don't like to go over 8' for my surface jigsticks because of transport, boat storage and some other issues. If I was you I'd take my rod to a shop where you can put both reels onto the 900M and see which one feels better, while your at it try on a Fathom 15 or if your looking to keep cost down a Squall 15, for the lower profile feel I like.

One reel IMO will not cover from 25 lb to 50 lb and not give have issues somewhere like being to big of a reel for the lighter tests or on the other end not offering the cranking power to fish the heavier lines.

P.S. I'm heading out Sunday night, fishing Monday, returning Tuesday morning in a 1.5 day trip out of Daveys Locker. Come on out if you can and you can give the reels a workout if you want.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 27, 2013, 05:39:45 AM
I have a TLD 15 with aftermarket handle, Carbontex drag and bumped up bellevelle washers and it sits as a backup reel/loaner now as I opt to fish other reels. The 900M is more of a 25-30 lb test rod and I feel you may like the 25N's narrow frame over the 20/40. I also like the features of the Penn over the Shimano as well. I fished my 25N on BWC 270H-8 before I moved it over to a 30 lb bait setup matched to a BWC 970 and it worked very well for the surface iron but like I said I wanted something with a lower profile for the local stuff. If your going to get the 113HN anyway you will need another stick to strap it on if your looking to fish 40lb and over toppers, I have mine matched to a 6480. I'm not a diehard iron man so I don't like to go over 8' for my surface jigsticks because of transport, boat storage and some other issues. If I was you I'd take my rod to a shop where you can put both reels onto the 900M and see which one feels better, while your at it try on a Fathom 15 or if your looking to keep cost down a Squall 15, for the lower profile feel I like.

One reel IMO will not cover from 25 lb to 50 lb and not give have issues somewhere like being to big of a reel for the lighter tests or on the other end not offering the cranking power to fish the heavier lines.

P.S. I'm heading out Sunday night, fishing Monday, returning Tuesday morning in a 1.5 day trip out of Daveys Locker. Come on out if you can and you can give the reels a workout if you want.

You are correct; I am buying the Baja Special as a live bait/yo-yo rig for another rod, I was just asking what surface iron casting with one would be like in general and on the 900M (was considering buying a second Baja Special for the 900M). However, after talking to Tunanorth, the Fathom 25N is more than capable of fishing 40# mainline or topshot, when I need a higher # topshot.  I am pretty much set on the 25N as my jigging reel (Hope they release lower speed gear ratios from the factory, or offer a Versa Drag for the 2014 Fathoms!)...I understand the 900M is primarily rated for 30# line, but after pulling on it and using it, I know it is more than capable of pulling 40# and its equivalent drag, IMO. I know others may disagree with that assessment, but it is the 900M graphite/E-glass, and has plenty of backbone.   

Agreed about not being likely to find a reel that will handle double duty and an alternating 30-50# setup. I have settled on the 900M with a FTH25N for my 30-40# jigging duties; I would switch to live bait anyway if I needed more than #40 for surface iron, or wait until I experience problems jigging with 40# on a LR trip, and later upgrade to a capable rod and reel.

I really appreciate the offer to go out fishing with you and try out some of your gear, but I would not be able to go; besides money being tight, I actually have no reels at the moment. I joined Alan's site and BDs to get up to speed and help obtain my arsenal of reels. (Reason for so many, possibly redundant, reel and line questions.)

Thanks again SoCal!

basto

[/quote]

I am kind of in that dilemma...the 25N and equivalent models for jigging are perfect for 30#, but 40# might be pushing it, not that the reel(s) cannot handle the line and use, but, as you mentioned for the longer LR trips, the gearing and cranking power may not be there if a larger, unexpected fish inhales the jig.  I personally feel comfortable with lighter line, more fun to me, and if I have to fight a fish for 20-60 min because of my reel and its gearing, oh well, roll with the punches type of thing. This is exactly why I am asking this question, I do not want a local jigging reel and then a LR jigging reel.  After saying this, Thanks MelB, I am now leaning more towards the Shimano TLD 20-40S (Tani Upgrades), good capacity, more than capable of 30-40# line, good drag, and a great jigging gear ratio (4.3:1), IMO.

I am already going to get the Baja Special for long range Yo-Yo jigging and live bait fly-lining on a 40#-60# leader setup, backed by 80# spectra. (Also going to be my go to dropper loop/Yo-Yo reel for local SoCal yellowtail trips. Great reel!

Thank you for your input SoCalAngler, you have helped me out a few times with more than useful information.
[/quote]

The 20/40 TLD has a gear ratio of 5.2:1.    I have four of these reels and a Torium 20 and a Torque 200.
I would choose the Torque 200 because it`s lighter than a Torium 20. Next Iwould choose the 20/40, but you might want to look at the Torium 16.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

SoCalAngler

Penn does not plan on making lower gears for the Fathom line but Black Pearl (on this site) may get to these gears next year. The Fathom line already has the Versa Drag but it is more for people fishing lighter drag settings. The reels come stock with the drags set to the most stopping power and for our left coast style of fishing I see no reason you would need to change them to a lighter setting.

LTM

Sundaytrucka,

I've been thinking about your post for several days now, before I decided to comment.  I too have a 900M for LOCAL jigging; however I only fish it with 25/30# line.  Before I sold my Calstar 6480 I actually compared the two rods with 40# line and as I suspected the 6480 was much better handling 40#.  The 6480 is a 40/50# jig stick and ideal for me for wahoo/long range jigging with the 113HN 4:1 gears.  I'm glad I never brought a 9 foot rod on a long range trip; it would be too much of a disadvantage for me (too much leverage in favor of the fish).  However, if your a "young buck" then more power to you!  In my limited experience long range fishing I dont recall seeing many (if any) 9 foot rods on the boats and probably for a reason.

The reel I've been using on my 900M is the Torium 20 with 25/30# line and I just love throw'n iron with the setup (I LOVE THROWING IRON).  However, I'm looking forward to using my TLD15/30S in the future (probably on a Seeker SJ85 jig stick).  I also plan to use the TLD20/40S with 30/40# line on my Calstar 670/6465 for iron/medium bait.  I hope I've helped to shed a little more light on the subject.

Leo

sundaytrucka

Quote from: LTM on October 08, 2013, 11:09:12 PM
Sundaytrucka,

I've been thinking about your post for several days now, before I decided to comment.  I too have a 900M for LOCAL jigging; however I only fish it with 25/30# line.  Before I sold my Calstar 6480 I actually compared the two rods with 40# line and as I suspected the 6480 was much better handling 40#.  The 6480 is a 40/50# jig stick and ideal for me for wahoo/long range jigging with the 113HN 4:1 gears.  I'm glad I never brought a 9 foot rod on a long range trip; it would be too much of a disadvantage for me (too much leverage in favor of the fish).  However, if your a "young buck" then more power to you!  In my limited experience long range fishing I dont recall seeing many (if any) 9 foot rods on the boats and probably for a reason.

The reel I've been using on my 900M is the Torium 20 with 25/30# line and I just love throw'n iron with the setup (I LOVE THROWING IRON).  However, I'm looking forward to using my TLD15/30S in the future (probably on a Seeker SJ85 jig stick).  I also plan to use the TLD20/40S with 30/40# line on my Calstar 670/6465 for iron/medium bait.  I hope I've helped to shed a little more light on the subject.

Leo

Thank you for the reply Leo.

I fully concur with your assessment of the rod usage; after hearing from SoCalAngler, Baja Fish Gear, and yourself, I have elected the 900M to remain as my 30# local jigging rod. Simply put, I was in the position of not wanting to buy another rod/reel combo for LR surface iron, but everybody's opinion has changed my mind. You mentioned the 6480 w/ Baja special, and I will be going with a very similar 8' rod/reel setup. I was originally viewing the purchase as uni-tasker, and it was affecting my view, but a MH to H 8' rod will suffice perfectly for LR surface iron/wahoo jigging, and as a 40# live bait rod. *Agree about 9ft possibly being too much on a LR.

I am planning on picking up a couple of 15/30 and 20/40 Shimanos with my 20-40# rods, including my Seeker 670 (my favorite jig/bait rod...I heard the Calstar 670 has a bit more backbone compared to the Seeker 670). I am still leaning toward the Fathom 25N or 30 w/ aftermarket 4.9:1 gears for my 900M.

Thank you again for your input Leo!!!

SoCalAngler

sunday,

I agree that the Seekers run a bit lighter on their line rating than the Calstars. In a apples to apples match up (glass rod to glass rod) I would go up one line rating in the Seekers until I hit the 40 lb test mark on their rods. Seeker has a 6470 (40lb) and Calstar use to have them also but I don't think they make them any more and just have the 670 for 40 lb in their glass rods. I fish both glass and composites and have a Calstar BWC 6470 as my go to 40 lb bait rod.

As far as the 25N and 30 lb test I'd fish it with the stock 6:1 gears, land some fish and see how you like it before you look into aftermarket gears. I was looking at replacing the 6:1 also in my 25N but after landing 4 BFT from 35-50 lbs with it I most likely will leave it stock. Of course this was with a 7' rod fishing bait but I feel the reel had all the power I needed for the 30 lb test. Now if I was looking to bump the 25N to 40 lb toppers on a long stick lower gears may be the hot ticket.