Loaded for the kill

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, September 27, 2013, 10:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

Packed about 650-700yds of 130lb braid then ran about 200-250 yds of 80lb mono over the top on my 9/0 today, and yes I used electric tape one the spool ;D had to toss that in
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Nice!! By the way, why did you use tape on the spool? Its really not necessary, I've never had braid slip on me and I use principally braid on my spinning outfits. If spooled correctly the braid should grip the spool like tire treads.

Keta

I've seen braid slip far too many times.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

same here.  when a guy says he'd not getting enough drag from a reel, even when the star is cranked down all the way, then the most likely culprit is spectra that is slipping on the spool.  seen it way to many times. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dynamo

Shark Hunter

Too many Cons for me. I simply don't trust it. I guess its OK for backing, but I don't even do that as of yet.

Life is Good!

Dynamo

I use braid for my inshore redfish and surf setups, but I would only consider braid on a shark reel if I was fishing someplace like in NC. Then again my sharking experience is limited........

Keta

I've been using Spectra for close to 20 years and Dacron before that, and I could not fish with a full spool of mono.  I use 20lb on my Calcutta 50s for kokanee and steelhead, 60lb on my mid size reels and 80lb, 100lb, 130lb and 200lb on my larger reels with mono or fluro topshots from 10' to 100' long.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

Well I'm in NC! Lol. I soak it in water then pack it on tight, it is rock solid. I gotta use tape, just me
Grayson Lanier

Keta

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 29, 2013, 07:40:14 PM
Well I'm in NC! Lol. I soak it in water then pack it on tight, it is rock solid. I gotta use tape, just me

I use Vet Wrap (Flex Wrap) but I also splice 20'-30' of Dacron to the end of my Spectra.

Mark Twain

Dynamo

Quote from: Keta on September 29, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
I've been using Spectra for close to 20 years and Dacron before that, and I could not fish with a full spool of mono.  I use 20lb on my Calcutta 50s for kokanee and steelhead, 60lb on my mid size reels and 80lb, 100lb, 130lb and 200lb on my larger reels with mono or fluro topshots from 10' to 100' long.
I assume you are speaking of conventional big-game fishing? If you are, then toss all I said out the window. Land based sharking is so different from anything else. And I do not question your experience and knowledge, you can be sure of that.

Dynamo

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on September 29, 2013, 07:40:14 PM
Yep, lol! I love fishing in Florida, make no mistake, but it can be an honest pain. Especially the Keys, 1 out of 2 casts would hang up, believe it or not. North Carolina is like spotless.

Keta

Quote from: Dynamo on September 29, 2013, 07:50:29 PM
I assume you are speaking of conventional big-game fishing? If you are, then toss all I said out the window. Land based sharking is so different from anything else. And I do not question your experience and knowledge, you can be sure of that.

We all fish differently.  The closest I think I come to what you are doing is bank fishing for steelhead but it's not close.  I don't see the disadvantages of spectra for what you are doing but I'm not doing it.

Mark Twain

Dynamo

Spectra's advantage, its low diameter, can be its disadvantage when fishing in areas with lots of abrasive shells, stones, pilings, etcetera. For example, 250 class Tufline has the same diameter as 50 class mono, thus 250 class mono is 5 times as abrasion resistant than its braid equivalent. Of course most people stay with 200, tying knots with 250 is a beast. There are so many different types of fishing, sometimes It overwhelms me........

ChileRelleno

@ Dynamo,
another vote here for using a backing with braid, especially with heavier drags.
If it can fail, it will, no need to make it easier...  Screw Mr. Murphy and his horse too.

For sharking I'm utilizing braid with a mono topshot for the increased capacity, i.e. able to do a long drop (300yrds+) and still have plenty of room for a big one to run 300+ yards on hook up. 
And the heavier the braid the better for being able to withstand abrasion from the bottom/snags, most will recommend 100-130#, or better.
For a short drop rig, e.g. my 114H, I use 50# mono with an 80# topshot for abrasion on the bar.
Even on my larger spinning reels, e.g. 9500SS, I've 300yrds of 50# braid for the extra capacity, and then 50# mono. 
Comes in handy when a big Blacktip heads South, too easy for'em to spool you with straight mono.

All with a backing to prevent slipping.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."