Loaded for the kill

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, September 27, 2013, 10:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

I have no doubt that braid is useful, I use it on all of my small outfits, I know it works. I was simply stating a disadvantage in conditions where there is a lot of coral, shells, crusty pilings, crab traps, and etcetera. You will see in one of my previous posts I stated that in plain sandy beaches such as NC one can get away with fishing straight braid, but when pressure is put on that line, a single rough touch can cost you your fish. It is also handy, as you said, for low capacity reels. Speaking of which, how do like your 6/0 for sharking? I don't trust it too much yet, in fact I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

saltydog

Lots of big fish fall to 6/0 every year mine included.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dynamo

How much drag would you feel comfortable putting on it? Intended use is for car hood rays, so I'm gonna need a much drag as i can get.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 12:37:27 AM
I have no doubt that braid is useful, I use it on all of my small outfits, I know it works. I was simply stating a disadvantage in conditions where there is a lot of coral, shells, crusty pilings, crab traps, and etcetera. You will see in one of my previous posts I stated that in plain sandy beaches such as NC one can get away with fishing straight braid, but when pressure is put on that line, a single rough touch can cost you your fish. It is also handy, as you said, for low capacity reels. Speaking of which, how do like your 6/0 for sharking? I don't trust it too much yet, in fact I'm thinking about getting rid of it.
Do NOT underestimate the 114H.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dynamo

Sweet little hammer, how was the fight?

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dynamo

Congratulations, lovely fish! Was that in Florida or Texas?

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 01:28:09 AM
Sweet little hammer, how was the fight?
I do not consider any shark "little" that can bite me in half! :P
Life is Good!

Dynamo

I don't think that fish could bite you in half, hammers have very small mouths for their size. And I meant little relative to their full grown size. I didn't mean to say that the fish itself was small, kind of like seeing a baby sperm whale and saying, "that's a small whale". The whale itself is large, but compared to the potential size, the fish is small, Do you get what I mean?

Shark Hunter

Absolutely! I know the Hammer is the top prize of Shark Fishermen.
Life is Good!

Dynamo

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 30, 2013, 02:35:15 AM
Absolutely! I know the Hammer is the top prize of Shark Fishermen.
Great! Some of the old legends used to use 6 ft tippers targeting a grander hammer on the bridges. They used two 14/0's tied to that one bait. I remember hearing about one hammer which swallowed a 5 ft tipper in a single bite. Remember what i said about them having small mouths! There are many stories of hammers easily spooling 12/0's, 14/0's, and yes, 16/0's. Once you hook into a large hammer you'll know its a hammer. Believe me. They are like freight trains......

Bunnlevel Sharker

All u need for car hoods is a 4/0w, that's what I use. Until they get really huge it will handle most, I run 300 of braid to 60 mono to a 100 mono or 300 braid topper
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

How big do you mean when you say "really big"? I've been toying with the idea of selling the 6/0 and 9/0 for a 30w for quite some time now. Also you obviously have some experience with car hood hunting. Could you share some tips? Do the monsters dwell at the end of the pier or patrol in the shallows or both? I have some old pan-sized croaker in the freezer, lol, would that work?

ChileRelleno

Considering the species, it is big for an adult male, Scalloped Hammerhead.  
No, not as big as the female Scalloped can get, but it is right up there in length/weight as an average adult female.
Nothing little about that one.
It simply doesn't have the potential to attain the behemoth size of the Great Hammerhead you're talking about.

That is like calling a 43" 16#2oz Atlantic Sharpnose little, yes, it is little compared to many species as adults.
But it is a potential IGFA World Record for it's species.

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:11:05 AM
How big do you mean when you say "really big"? I've been toying with the idea of selling the 6/0 and 9/0 for a 30w for quite some time now. Also you obviously have some experience with car hood hunting. Could you share some tips? Do the monsters dwell at the end of the pier or patrol in the shallows or both? I have some old pan-sized croaker in the freezer, lol, would that work?
Both, you'll just as easily find the Car Hoods on the top of the first bar as you will any where else.
Best bait is whatever is in the surf that day.
Ragnar Benson: