Loaded for the kill

Started by Bunnlevel Sharker, September 27, 2013, 10:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunnlevel Sharker

I fish behind the T or behind the breakers, depends on crowds. Giant is it strips a locked down 30w. I get picked up off the ground a lot, and I'm bigger than most people. Best bait is a 2-3lb blue, big whiting, or ribbon fish. Croakers ok, I prefer to use a squid and croaker cocktail if ima run that. Check out my ray rig thread. My biggest so far was about 100, I stuck it in the heart with a 12/0 j so it didn't fight so hard. I'm good at getting them pier side and breakin em off on a pylon, I only beach em if I can flip em on their backs. Taken thefight out of em
Grayson Lanier

Keta

We have blue (gear destroying pests), great white, thresher, mako and salmon sharks off our coast.  I've seen several LARGE GW (one above me when diving in 90' of water), a few threshers and one mako but we see many dozens of salmon sharks every year in the 6'-10' range.  I keep a large rig ready but I have yet to get a client interested in fishing for them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dynamo

Er, this is an excerpt from "FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Scalloped Hammerhead"

Maximum total length ranges from 12.1-14.1 feet (3.7-4.3 m) with females growing larger than males while maximum recorded weight is 336 pounds (152.4 kg). Life span of the scalloped hammerhead is thought to be over 30 years.

I wasn't saying your fish was not a possible record nor was I saying it was not a big and lovely catch. I just called it "little" compared to their full grown size, which according to the Florida Marine Natural History Museum, is 14.1 feet. I'm sorry if I offended you. I really am.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Chille had a trophy sized male, as with most sharks females get a lot bigger
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

If whatever is in the surf that day works, then I'm set, because if you know the Chesapeake Bay, then you know croakers. I'm so darn sick of croakers, lol. By the way, thanks for the tips Bunnlevel Sharker and ChileRelleno, I appreciate it a lot! Keta, If any sharks come close to the coast where you come from then I really advise giving land based sharking a try. Its a blast.

Keta

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:30:23 AM
Keta, If any sharks come close to the coast where you come from then I really advise giving land based sharking a try. Its a blast.

Our coast is mostly steep and rocky with limited access.

Here's a photo of the coast just south of the port I usually fish from.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:25:05 AM
Er, this is an excerpt from "FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Scalloped Hammerhead"

Maximum total length ranges from 12.1-14.1 feet (3.7-4.3 m) with females growing larger than males while maximum recorded weight is 336 pounds (152.4 kg). Life span of the scalloped hammerhead is thought to be over 30 years.

I wasn't saying your fish was not a possible record nor was I saying it was not a big and lovely catch. I just called it "little" compared to their full grown size, which according to the Florida Marine Natural History Museum, is 14.1 feet. I'm sorry if I offended you. I really am.
No offense taken...  You'd have to try a helluva lot harder than that to offend me.  ;)

Keywords to be taken into account: Maximum, female & larger.
As already stated, females grow significantly larger than males with this species and many others.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

saltydog

Scalloped Hammers can and do et bigger I have seen several in the 15'+ class while longlining and Great Hammerheads over 17' so there are truly monsters out there. Most of the really big boys never get reported, just cut loose if still alive after they take hooks ment for other species. I will say one thing the sharks are much smaller than they were in the 70's and 80's.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

ChileRelleno

Quote from: saltydog on September 30, 2013, 05:18:14 AM
Scalloped Hammers can and do et bigger I have seen several in the 15'+ class while longlining and Great Hammerheads over 17' so there are truly monsters out there. Most of the really big girls never get reported, just cut loose if still alive after they take hooks ment for other species. I will say one thing the sharks are much smaller than they were in the 70's and 80's.
Fixed it for ya.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

saltydog

No I meant boys I have seen with my own eyes.
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

It would make my day to catch a Hammer like that John! ;)
They are a lot harder to come by, than your average Bull or Blacktip.
Life is Good!

saltydog

We have seen a few more here in Texas in recent years but if you truly want a big hammer Boca Grande and Key West in between Cuba in the Gulf stream there are alot of them.
MacArthur

Bunnlevel Sharker

Justgo on a Florida bridge, drop a live cuda or morray eel and look at the apple core. There's a good among in nc if you know where to go ;)
Grayson Lanier

Dynamo

Quote from: ChileRelleno on September 30, 2013, 05:14:42 AM
Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 03:25:05 AM

No offense taken...  You'd have to try a helluva lot harder than that to offend me.  ;)

Keywords to be taken into account: Maximum, female & larger.
As already stated, females grow significantly larger than males with this species and many others.
I'm glad. That really was a nice fish, I meant "little" relative to the maximum size. That's certainly a grea catch and better than anything I've caught. By the way, bunnlevel, where can you find NC hammers? Hammer time is march to april if you wanna give it a go. And Salty dog and Bunnlevel are correct, their are some big fish in Boca and the kays chomping on Tarpon. Hunting hammers is tough, something almost always gos wrong, be it pulled hooks, broken line, or spooled reels. 

Bunnlevel Sharker

I won't say exact beaches, but SENC spring-summer
Grayson Lanier