New Andros 12II and 16II???

Started by osider, September 29, 2013, 04:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osider

Any clue when these reels will be made available? Thanks, Gerry from Oceanside,Ca

alantani

this is the first i've heard.  i am not sure that the single drag/single bearing design would offer that much. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

osider

Yup ....On BD they talk about the prototypes.   

alantani

fished with the andros 12 this last week.  nice reel. 

madday

Dynamo

Doesn't the Andros series have a plastic clicker gear, like the Cavallas?

osider

Alan,
Since most of us really respect your opinion on reels.....Can u please elaborate on your experience trying out the new Andros 12II last year??? Thx, Gerry fro Oceanside.

alantani

it fished just fine!  you know, when you get to this level, the differences can be very subtle.  it often comes down to the look, the handle grip, availability or just the price.  you know the old expression, "God made man, Col. Colt made them equal."?  once a reel has greased carbon fiber drags, it's likely that a fish would never be able to tell the difference.  and the only difference for you would be the handle grip, the length of the handle arm, and the retrieve rate. 

the rees are well made and well priced. go for it!

Bobsled 55

Still about a month away before these get released.  Thinking of getting a high speed 12II to replace my Newell 533 5.5 for jig fishing BFT and YFT.  :-\

Normslanding

The Metaloid should be out in ABOUT a month. The Andros will probably be out in October/ November.

justindfish

Quote from: alantani on October 14, 2013, 04:09:26 PM
fished with the andros 12 this last week.  nice reel. 

How does the 12s spool size compare to an Avet, Makaira or a senator?

Normslanding

The 12 holds the same amount of line as a Makaira 15. It is not wide like the M15. The spool width to height is about the same. As for its size, drag ,etc.
I fished quite a bit with a prototype. The drag was very smooth and the size fills a void in the Okuma line up. The 2.1:1 low was very nice fishing deep water. The reel was great fishing Tuna, and Rooster Fish. I managed a 60lb. Rooster on the reel, and was very pleased with the reel. So there is a 6.4:1 version on order. The reel will be used as a general purpose reel, but YoYo, and Wahoo will be where it excels.

JGB

The andros 5, 12, 12S and 16 all have a dual force drag very similar to the Makiara design (no thrust bearing). It actually has a 3 surface drag system as the drag in the spool face is still used and engages the back side of the DFD drag. Don't know why they don't advertize this as it nearly reduces the  bearing load by 2-3 times ( the drags are slightly smaller in diameter ). I am told that they also beefed up the left spool bearing to reduce bearing drag to nearly unnoticeable. I have the Series A Andros A5II and they have very smooth drags and pull 30+ # at full with strike of 15#. You can go higher with free spool but I would not recommend it as it may stress the frame and spool shaft.

Jim N.