pfluger templar size

Started by pcde123, September 29, 2013, 10:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i bought a cheap pfluger templar, i need to have i bit more drag on it, its so weak that i can thumb the spool down really hard and the drag wont ingage the spool to spin,havent opened it up yet so i dont know size, and these reels are discontinued so i cant look up much about them. carbontex preferably but ht-100 is fine, im assuminging its 1 5+1 stack and not a 7+1 cus the reel is a low profile baitcaster,

Dynamo

I've had bad luck with cheaper, Pfuegers. Just taking the reel in and out of free spool a couple times did the reel in. 100 bucks down the drain.....

Makule

My impression was that the Pfleuger Templars only came in two sizes:  1419 3/4 and 1420 1/2.  These are roughly equivalent to a Penn Senator 4/0 and 9/0.  The internals are quite different from the Senators.  Only two drag washers, one on each side of the main gear, and a safety shear pin that breaks if too much drag is applied (then only about 1/2 the amount of drag remains and the pin needs to be replaced).  The reels are fine, precision, pieces but not made as rugged as the Senators.

The original brake discs were leather, if I recall correctly.  Over time, they become soaked in oil, compressed, and glazed.  Don't work too good.  I used to change them with some Senator disks, and had to reduce the diameter and thickness to get the correct fit.  They worked better, reels had more drag, and that's how I discovered the function of the shear pins.  The pins consist of a brass screw that has, about a 1/16" shaft and 1/8" head.  When that gets sheared, no sense trying to remove the screw portion and replace, just either drill and tap for a new screw or pin a new one in.  I tried a 1/8" SS pin, and when it didn't shear, that's when I discovered why the weak pin was put in there (the main and pinion gears stripped from too much drag).  It's called a shear pin, dummy, so that it shears before damage is done to the gears.  Duhhhh.

Anyway, I still acquire Templars and Atlapacs from time to time, but only for parts or, if they are in pristine condition, as a collector's item.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dynamo

Ah, templar is an older reel. Oops. They still aren't the best made reels, though at least they actually made their reels back then........

Dynamo

Ah yes! I had a similar reel, in fact it was 5 times as expensive. It failed. Hopefully it was just a fluke......You should be fine, just be careful. Still makes me wary of their reels.....

pcde123

i bought mine for 10 bucks almost new, seemed like an unpassable chance to try baitcasting, ive looked into it and bait casters tend to have between 8-13lbs of drag, and since they hold so little line, i was hoping to get 15lbs of drag so just in case a hook up to a hog i can reel em in,

Dynamo

Yes, you can't go wrong with that price, but if you upgrade in the future i'd suggest switching to another manufacturer. Shimano baitcasters are awesome.

Dawn

Hi
I have the pair of drag washers for $6.50.

Dawn
Dawn

saltydog

I have the same exact reel and I get an easy 5# of drag and at lockdown I get 11#, but the reel is not really built for the fishing most people do with it. I have filled mine with 10# braid and it works flawlessly for what it was built for. I catch flounder,reds,trout and striper on mine all the time and for what they are it is a pretty good reel.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

pcde123

Quote from: Dawn on October 02, 2013, 05:28:46 PM
Hi
I have the pair of drag washers for $6.50.

Dawn
how much do u think the drag would increase?

pcde123

im planning on spooling mine with 30lb braid, i prefer heavier line cus its a little bit more abrasion riistant, if the reel can pump out 10 pounds of drag i wont get new washers i guess, lol the line im putting on cost more than the reel it self.....

saltydog

It will but you will be pushing it, and it will probably fail. Any more than about 6 or 7# is probably gonna break it sooner or later. The carbon fiber make it smoother but not any stronger, and they help with startup and get rid of the jerkiness. Remembermost of these new reels are plastic and will fail if you abuse them, 30# is good for abrasion resistance but I would for the reels longevity fish it at 5 to 6#, JMHO.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

pcde123

yeah i see your point, im fishing bays and inshore, and freshwater bass, i like going light in those times, ill put on 15lb flouro ,and i enjoy some drag fight, im fishing off a kayak so i really dont even want to bring in a fish thats been draggged out and still green, thanks though, sorry dawn ill pass on the washers,