p338 and s332 and p229 gears

Started by maxpowers, September 29, 2013, 11:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi I was wondering how to tell if the gears in these three Newells are stainless or not.  They are not bronze like the Penn or Progear but are more like the gear in the picture of the p220 tutorial.

Thanks,

bluefish69

As far as I know ALL Newell Gears are stainless steel. I have found a few SS Bridge Sleeves but most are Brass

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

maxpowers

thank you Mike. 

As a follow on question - since the gears are SS but the sleeves are bronze, at what drag level will the sleeves start to give out?

Thanks

Newell Nut

I just tested some new CF material today on a G332 with Tib frame and got 35 lb of drag. Don't worry load it and fish. The previous CFs in the reel went to 33 lb of drag and this reel has caught a lot of large snappers this summer easily.
Have no fear of pushing it. Just wash after use. On some of the early P reels they had SS gear sleeves but not a necessity. The only problem that I have seen on Newell sleeves is when someone has cross threaded the handle nut and messed up a couple of threads. Those threads are fine and you have to be careful when putting the handle nut on to keep it straight.
All of your gears are SS in Newells.