Does this qualify as a reel?

Started by Makule, October 01, 2013, 10:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

It was not my idea, but since it was good, I use it.

There are places here where the wind blows offshore and we use either inflated trash bags or rafts with sails to pull out ropes from which leaders are dropped (land-based version of long line fishing).  Typically, the rope is sent out anywhere from 600 to 1000 yards out, with varying numbers of droppers (depends on the length of the dropper).  I use a 1/4" nylon rope with 400 lb test leaders.  Each drop has a float at the top.  This method has been effective for catching a variety of pelagics from marlin, sailfish, mahimahi, ono, ahi, etc.  Suffice to say it's possible to pull up some sizable fish, in excess of even 200 lbs.

As the distance the rope is sent out is so far, with the drag of the rope, the wind force against the sail or bags, bringing the rope back in just to check bait can be a tedious chore (but it's a good way of building all kinds of muscle).

Being more lazy than interested in fitness, I puzzled at how to make bring the rope back in easier.  One day, I saw an elderly man (probably in his 70s) who had his line out, and when it was time to bring it back in, he started his truck (I though he was going to tie it to his truck and drive away), and on one of his rear axles was an empty wheel.  The truck was blocked so as not to move, and jacked up enough so that the empty wheel could turn freely.  He engaged the drive, wrapped the rope one time around the wheel, applied a little pressure on the rope, and started to haul it it.  Piece of cake.  The truck did all of the pulling and he only had to apply resistance to the rope so that it wouldn't slip on the wheel.

This doesn't work with limited slip or locking differentials, although it would be possible if both of the rear axles were raised.  The guy's truck was a very old model and it had a throttle control (the idle could be adjusted manually), so he raised the speed a bit to make the retrieve faster.  Mine doesn't have that feature so I have someone step the gas pedal while I pull the rope in if I need faster retrieve (usually when there's no fish on and I'm just checking the bait).  Normally, when a fish is on, the normal idle is good enough.  With the size of the rope and leaders, we don't normally worry about breakage, but too fast a speed may cause the hook to pull out, especially with very large fish.  The "drag" is entirely manual.  If the fish is large and starts pulling hard, pressure on the rope is lessened, allowing it to slip on the wheel.  If it's a very fast and powerful run, the line is released and the fish allowed to do its run until it tires out.  The drag of the rope in the water, and the floats, generally tire the fish out within short order, then the process of retrieving can begin again.

When I first saw this, I was young and enthusiastic.  The saying is, "Youth and enthusiasm cannot overcome maturity and experience".  How true, in this case.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Never seen anything like it, sounds like a good system he had tough. Maybe or of those winches you were talking about with the mag breaks could work
Grayson Lanier

BMITCH

I saw this setup on the south shore of LI NY one time years ago. The only thing was they were haul seining striped bass. Took over 3 hours for a set. I came back to see what the y caught and it wasn't what I expected. Maybe 20 or 30 bass. One over the 50# mark though. Interesting thing was the pickup they were using for the winch vehicle kept over heating. I watched in horror as they were pouring seawater into the radiator to cool it down.  :o :o
luck is the residue of design.

Ron Jones

I would say it meets the definition of a reel, kind of hard to cast though! ;D ;D
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dynamo

A reel is a line storing mechanism, so id say definately. creative idea!

Makule

If the reel is a line storing mechanism, then it wouldn't qualify as the rope was just laid on the ground next to the wheel.  It wasn't wound on the wheel itself.

I hate to think of what happened to the motor that was fed sea water.

Quote from: Dynamo on October 02, 2013, 12:48:34 AM
A reel is a line storing mechanism, so id say definately. creative idea!

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dynamo

Shucks, I misread. I don't know if it is technically a reel then. Still creative and sounds like a fish-killer.

Keta

We have used the same winch to haul elk out of canyons.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

I don't feel like typing a long story describing how to sink a well but years ago my father used that set-up to lift the weight that would pound the water pipe into the ground.  Then it would become necessary to remove the dirt in the pipe.  A dirt remover the size of the inside diameter of the water (called a bucket) was dropped into the pipe.  When the bucket hit the bottom of the well a one way valve was force open by the impact of the heavy bucket and the bucket was raised and dropped by tightening the rope on the drum and then loosening it so that the bucket would drop.  This was repeated until the bucket was full.  Then the rope was tightened again to raise and empty the bucket.  I hope this is clear.  You have to understand it is hard for an Italian to explain something without you all seeing my hands.  ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bunnlevel Sharker

He needs zin, a half way un buttoned hawain shirt and his hands and he could explain quantum physics to a cow ;D
Grayson Lanier

Shark Hunter

Have you ever watched Deadliest Catch? They use a tire to haul their lines in in a hurry. I'm not sure what they call it.
Life is Good!

Cone

Dominick, I bailed a well down at my house. Basically the same way. The bailer went inside the casing and the casing went down as you bailed out enough sand. I put it down 52ft to the top of the screen. A full bailer of sand seated a Cyprus plug in the foot piece. Ground water was at 16 ft at the time. We were in a drought. No truck though just hard work and a tripod made out of pipe with a pulley. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 02, 2013, 03:41:28 AM
Have you ever watched Deadliest Catch? They use a tire to haul their lines in in a hurry. I'm not sure what they call it.

If it looks like a tire and sounds like a tire and spins like a tire, they call it a tire.   :D  Dominick

Quote from: Bunnlevel Sharker on October 02, 2013, 03:34:04 AM
He needs zin, a half way un buttoned hawain shirt and his hands and he could explain quantum physics to a cow ;D
Of course Zin works every time.   ;D Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on October 02, 2013, 03:54:21 AM
Dominick, I bailed a well down at my house. Basically the same way. The bailer went inside the casing and the casing went down as you bailed out enough sand. I put it down 52ft to the top of the screen. A full bailer of sand seated a Cyprus plug in the foot piece. Ground water was at 16 ft at the time. We were in a drought. No truck though just hard work and a tripod made out of pipe with a pulley. Bob

Right on Bob.  We went down 96 feet.  We hit water at 6 feet.  This was in New Jersey 13 miles inland where the water table is pretty high.  That's what the contraption was called a "bailer."  I remembered it as a bucket.  We set up pipe wrenches inside the tripod and rotated the pipe while it was pounded down.  Dominick

Shark Hunter

They call it the "Block" Dom.
Wise Guy! ;)
Life is Good!