New Penn Conflict.... Main Gear/Pinion Materials in question

Started by coonhound, October 02, 2013, 02:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhound

So it seems that by all accounts from Penn, the new Penn Conflict spinning reel will retain the same main gear/pinion materials as the other Penn spinning reels not named Torque.  However, I noticed on the Australian Penn store that they are marketing the reel as having a machine cut, marine-grade bronze main gear paired with a SS pinion gear.  Now, that reel would be tough as nails, and I might buy a dozen.  However, the US-marketed reel seems to have the same aluminum main gear/brass pinion combo.  :-\

http://pennfishing.com.au/product/conflict/

coonhound

Nevermind, I asked Penn on Facebook and they said it was a mistake on the Australian page.  Everyone is getting the same gearing/same reels.  They'll have Australia fix themselves.

I was a bit disappointed because I really wanted to see Penn spinner not named Torque have Bronze/SS gearing.  I'd hand over too much $ for those.

Alto Mare

Be patient and there might be a chance that you might do better.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

coonhound, they do have a reel not named Torque with bronze and ss gearing. It's called the 704 and 706z.  ;D ;)  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coonhound

Quote from: Cone on October 02, 2013, 09:00:33 PM
coonhound, they do have a reel not named Torque with bronze and ss gearing. It's called the 704 and 706z.  ;D ;)  Bob

Dang... forgot about those NEW reels..  ;D

coonhound

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 02, 2013, 08:12:45 PM
Be patient and there might be a chance that you might do better.

I hope so... There's a lot to like about those spinners, but it grinds my gears  ::) that they didn't use better gearing. 

Cone

I hope so... There's a lot to like about those spinners, but it grinds my gears  ::) that they didn't use better gearing. 
[/quote]

I know what you mean. That's why I mostly fish old Penn ss spinners. They will still be around when I'm gone.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bunnlevel Sharker

I have two reels I know will survive. My 750ss and my 70s model 4/0
Grayson Lanier