Which Penn Conventional for Sharkin?

Started by broadway, March 30, 2010, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Does anyone have any Penn Conventional, single speed, star drag reel recommendation for drift fishing shark (Mako, Thresher, Poor Beagle, Blue Dogs) on the East Coast.  I was thinking the 114hsp's because I can also use them for striper wirelining if I don't stick to sharkin'.  I have read a lot about guys using the 115L, however I'm not familiar with this reel, nor do I know anyone that has one.  Lastly, I thought the Penn 114HLW for the extra capacity, but I prefer the chromed over brass spool.  I'm only gonna buy the American made ones because I'm not happy about the move to China.  Why I say this is you can't outsource to a country for the cheaper labor only to charge the customer 30% more.  I'm not basing my statements on the quality of the China made Penn reels cause I haven't cracked them open myself yet (maybe someone who has can inform me).  Just on price alone!  What upgrades are available for the 114h, hsp, hlw?  Thanks
Dom

akfish

All Penn reels selling for less than $200 are now made in China. This includes all of the 114H reels. You may be able to find a US-made one on the shelf if you look. The 115 and 114H have the same drags. The only differences between them are line capacity and retrieve ratio. Oh yea: They also have different frames. If you want US made reels you're stuck with Accurate and Avet. These are great reels, but not cheap.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

Akfish,

I can get my hands on the USA made still. Do you think the 114hsp would work well?  Throw in some new carbontex drags and a stainless gear sleeve?  Thanks
Dom 

CarolinaCustomReels

I have two of the 114Hs and I use them for king mackeral fishing from the pier and sharking from the surf. I have one with mono for the pier (~480yds, 30#) and one with braid for the beach (~1300yds, 65#). Go with the 114H or the 114HLW.

My pier reel is a half-frame but the beach reel is the full-frame version. Both work equally well and have given me no issues. I opened them up when I got them and switched out to steel shafts, plus greasing the bearings. Loud clicker and 25# of drag at lock down.

My 114H is stamped "Made in USA" on the side, and the Senator H2 models in the Bass Pro catalog I received today are also stamped "Made in USA". I don't follow the whole China-US debate much, I just buy the reels and get rid of them if they don't hold up to my demanding standards. So far the Senators are staying.

Evan

broadway

Thanks for the input guys! I use mono correct?  If braid, will it get stuck in the spool? I know about the loooong wire leaders. Now, what about a penn rod with NO rollers (not a fan-lost a BIG fish in Costa Rica when I was 19, I'm scarred:(! ) Thanks
Dom

akfish

If the 114HSP has the line capacity you need, it should work. But you really don't need to swap out the drag washers. Penn HT-100s are nearly identical to Carbontex washers; in fact, Carbontex washers were made to copy HT-100s for use in non-Penn reels. As for China vs. US Penns: My non-scientific but fairly large sample suggests that the Chinese reels have inferior quality control than older US-made Penns, but I think the Chinese Senators are still pretty good reels, especially if you service them before they hit the water.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Russ57

You might consider the metal senator.  Pretty sure it is made in America.  Over all a bit more rugged.

CarolinaCustomReels

IMHO, the metal Senator is not worth the extra cash. The regular red plates work just fine.

Regarding braid, I have not had problems with the line digging in. I use wider sweeps on my spool with the braid than with mono so the line does not have many places to dig.

As far as rods go, for what you'll be doing with it, take a look at the Penn Mariner 6306CMST (6'6", 20-50#) or the 660CHST MARINER (6', 30-80#). I have my pier reel mounted on a 6' Shakespeare Tidewater standup rod, and I'm getting a beach rod built on an 8' ATC standup blank with wraps to match the red/black/silver Senator color scheme. The blank cost me $16 from the bargain can (ATC no longer makes blanks) and the build is going to total less than $100.

Evan

akfish

Alas, Penn has already discontinued the 113HM Metal Senator. I think it was a great reel -- 4.2 to 1 retrieve ratio and a ton of drag. The metal side plates aren't s important as the metal frame which prevents torque at high drag pressures.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

CarolinaCustomReels

Good point. But with the metal full frame for the 114H, I doubt you'd be able to torque it at the 25# max drag.

Though I did receive a 14/0 Senator last week that the owner had managed to warp one of the $86 side plates on it. Still not really sure how that one happened...

Evan

broadway

Thanks for your replies guys.  I think it's a toss up between the 114hlw's or the 114hsp's for me...I'll pull the trigger soon.  As for the rod I think I should go with the aluminum butt for rigidity (I have a friend that swears by them, but his were $350).  Any info is always appreciated.  Thanks
Dom

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on March 31, 2010, 11:21:01 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.  I think it's a toss up between the 114hlw's or the 114hsp's for me...I'll pull the trigger soon.  As for the rod I think I should go with the aluminum butt for rigidity (I have a friend that swears by them, but his were $350).  Any info is always appreciated.  Thanks
Dom
Hey Dom,

I've PM you regarding the rod as I don't want to hijack Alan's site with talk about rods.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Norcal Pescador

I bought a 113H about 3 months ago at Sports Authority on a "Closeout Sale" and the reel and box both say made in the USA. Penn's website lists their special senators as 112H2, 113H2, 114H2, etc. Maybe the trailing '2' means it's from China? Just a guess.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

Yes; the "H2" indicates the reel was made in China.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska