12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, October 03, 2013, 04:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Picked me up another 12/0. Doesn't look like it was fished much at all. Hardly any brassing, just on the seat. I have a 9/0 and a 10 with the same perfect red handle. Looks all original, there was some serious crud in the handle nut, which tells me it had never been off. Has the original asbestos drags with no wear on them. Made in the late fifty's I'm guessing.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Looks like a good score!  Chroming on the spool, crossbars and outer rings look like they're in good shape.  What's your plans for the reel?  I saw a 12/0 in similar shape as the one in your pics at one of my local shops, but he wanted $175 which was out of my budget.

I was thinking about picking it up and just giving it a cleaning, and putting it up in the case, but my wife/CFO was having no part of that.

Keep us posted.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

if the wives ever logged in here, we'd all be in big trouble......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

saltydog

Looks like a winner.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Shark Hunter

$175 is a good deal Big Ono. I gave $200 and I think that is more than fair of a reel in this condition with a one piece spool. All it needs is a carbon fiber drag upgrade and a good cleaning and greasing.
It has a steel main gear as well. I can see at least a Benjamin for my next order at Scotts. I have a sweet 10/0 coming as well and two 114h's to upgrade.
Life is Good!

Makule

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 03, 2013, 01:22:32 PM
$175 is a good deal Big Ono. I gave $200 and I think that is more than fair of a reel in this condition with a one piece spool. All it needs is a carbon fiber drag upgrade and a good cleaning and greasing.
It has a steel main gear as well. I can see at least a Benjamin for my next order at Scotts. I have a sweet 10/0 coming as well and two 114h's to upgrade.

What kind of spool does the 10/0 have?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

One piece Chromed Bronze. I don't want anything else since there is no aluminum one for the 116a.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

If a $175 is a good price, I'm going to pick it up.  I'll just have to put it on the back burner cause I got too many reels that I'm modding right now.  

I checked it out.   Chrome is in great/excellent condition, absolutely no pitting on crossbars, spool or rings.  The spool is a one-piece chrome over bronze.  Only thing wrong with it is it's missing the clamp.  But since I most likely won't be fishing it, that's ok.  

I might have to buy a bigger display case though, cause it getting kinda crowded in there.

Shark Hunter

I only buy my reels complete Ono. The no Brace would be a deal breaker for me. If I can't fish it, I don't want it.
A new 12/0 Brace ain't cheap. That would bring the price over $200. that's my limit on a 12/0 unless it comes with an extra spool or something. If you get a reel that needs a brace and a Handle nut, or maybe its missing a rod clamp or the base. Before you know it, you realize you should have got one complete. There are a ton of Senators out there, You just have to be patient until the right one comes along. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on October 03, 2013, 06:18:09 AM
You got that right Alan.  I received a package the other day.  It was a pair of custom made shoes so they had to be mailed to me.  So my wife retrieves the package and she says to me "what's this another reel?"  In my mind I said "gotcha" while my mouth said "no another pair of shoes."   ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DaBigOno

@Shark Hunter, thanks for the advice about being patient and waiting for that right reel to come by.

I don't really use anything to fish with bigger than my 6/0, and that just for trolling on the multi-day boats out of San Diego.

I just got back from that shop that "had" that 12/0.  The owner said it was sold about an hour before I got there.  That was quick!

Quote from: Pescachaser on October 03, 2013, 11:29:00 PM
Quote from: alantani on October 03, 2013, 06:18:09 AM
You got that right Alan.  I received a package the other day.  It was a pair of custom made shoes so they had to be mailed to me.  So my wife retrieves the package and she says to me "what's this another reel?"  In my mind I said "gotcha" while my mouth said "no another pair of shoes."   ;D ;D ;D Dominick

I think if our wives were to log in, we would all be dead men...

Makule

QuoteOnly thing wrong with it is it's missing the clamp.

Are you referring to the clamp to hold the reel to the rod?

QuoteI think if our wives were to log in, we would all be dead men...

Fortunately, mine doesn't.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

I thought he meant the brace.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Sorry for the confusion, but I meant the clamp that goes opposite of the reel seat to hold the reel onto the rod. 

But whatever's, cause the reel is gone already.  So i going keep looking for one.

Alohaz braddahs!

Shark Hunter

I misunderstood Ono. I would have jumped on it with just no clamp. I have extras of those. If you can get a nice 12 for under $200, Buy it. These reels can handle some big fish! I reeled in that 6 1/2' Blacktip in less than 5 minutes. I locked it down and he was hooked good. He could only pull the drag for about 3 seconds at a time. Then I could feel him trying to shake the hook. He would swim toward me, then try to pull again. He didn't have a chance.
Life is Good!