PENN BATTLE REELS.... ANY GOOD?

Started by OSIRIS631, October 03, 2013, 03:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSIRIS631

Good Morning to all,

last night I killed my second penn of the season.  First I lost my 7500 about a month ago and last night I think I hooked into a manta rey that put a hurt in my old 750..  Looking for a quick fix for the fall do you guys think a Pen Battle in the 5000 to 6000 will do me justice for the fall run out in Long island, NY.  and do you think it would match well with a 10ft. ugly stick bigwater. 

Best regards,

John
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the tree.

RUSTY OLD COLT

PENN JUST RELEASED THE 704 AND 706 REELS AGAIN  THEY ARE SUPER RELIABLE A VERY EASY TO REPAIR EITHER ON WOULD WORK NICELY ON YOUR ROD

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Cone

I don't own a Battle but I've heard a lot of people like them. I'd second the new 704 and 706z. I still like a skirted spool reel though. I don't know what happened to your reels but I bet we can help you fix them. with some of the upgrades they might even work better than new. You could probably take the two reels and at least have one working one. If you don't want to repair them I'd be willing to offer something for them.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

coonhound

They're good reels for the $.  But, a 750 is better IMO   ;D 

fastfishin85

I have the battle 6000,have caught many tarpon in the 4 to 5ft range without a problem,very good reel for the money,they new penn conflict is taking its place so the battles will probably be even cheaper when its released shortly,my opinion its one of the best 100.00 spinning reels ive owned

Alto Mare

John, what do you mean by killed your reel, could you give some specifics?
From the way we've been upgrading those, to find something better you'll need to jump to the Torque, I don't believe there is any other as tough.
Yes the 704/706 are nice and I will own at least one each, too bad they have a habit of chewing line, that's why Penn introduced the skirted spool.
If you would have sent me that reel, as we discussed a couple of weeks ago, you probably wouldn't be in that position :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

OSIRIS631

Sal would you believe I've had it sitting packed in a box for almost 3 wks... and I've been so busy between work and fishing that I really need to make time to get these reels to you.  What do you think if I  get you to fix those reals for me. I got a nice gift for you.. " I know you did'nt ask for anything but I think its only fair.. remember that Mitchell I mentioned a couple of weeks ago 1963 314 brand new in its original box with an extra spool. I think someone like yourself will appriciatte that reel more than I.  But for now Iam gonna have to lay out at least a C note for that battle.

Regards,

John

OSIRIS631

Quote from: fastfishin85 on October 03, 2013, 08:27:35 PM
I have the battle 6000,have caught many tarpon in the 4 to 5ft range without a problem,very good reel for the money,they new penn conflict is taking its place so the battles will probably be even cheaper when its released shortly,my opinion its one of the best 100.00 spinning reels ive owned

Thank you for the info much appriciatted.

Alto Mare

Quote from: OSIRIS631 on October 04, 2013, 01:15:57 PM
Sal would you believe I've had it sitting packed in a box for almost 3 wks... and I've been so busy between work and fishing that I really need to make time to get these reels to you.  What do you think if I  get you to fix those reals for me. I got a nice gift for you.. " I know you did'nt ask for anything but I think its only fair.. remember that Mitchell I mentioned a couple of weeks ago 1963 314 brand new in its original box with an extra spool. I think someone like yourself will appriciatte that reel more than I.  But for now Iam gonna have to lay out at least a C note for that battle.

Regards,

John
When you're ready, you know how to find me ;). Thanks for offering the Mitchell, I do appreciate it, but I would need to pay for it.... we'll talk about it later.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

My stepdad just picked up a display penn battle 1000 gonna pack it with 10lb braid and report back. So u b to do gotta fix my girls car and to this reel for yall ;D
Grayson Lanier

ChileRelleno

I have a Battle 5000, I've now had two problems with the anti-reverse.
I've heard a couple of other stories about AR problems.
Granted, it has performed admirably when functioning well, but I no longer have any trust in it.
Now going to let my youngest boy have it to abuse.
I'll stick with my Spinfishers.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 05, 2013, 02:42:26 AM
Granted, it has performed admirably when functioning well, but I have no have any trust in it.
I'll stick with my Spinfishers 

Most do ;)

Bunnlevel Sharker

Just wet packed a good 150-200yds of 10lb braid on there, it will be for freshwater trout and smallies. For salt, me and the 750 are waitin with 300yds of 50lb braid and a 60lb mono topshot. So bring it big rays, this year it's time for revenge >:( ;D
Grayson Lanier

Cone

Quote from: ChileRelleno on October 05, 2013, 02:42:26 AM
Granted, it has performed admirably when functioning well, but I no longer have any trust in it.
I'll stick with my Spinfishers.
I took the transfer bar out of all my ss reels. I don't ever back reel anyway. With the stainless dogs and ratchets from Lee the ss series is a stronger reel. Hopefully one day I'll have stainless and double sprung dogs in all of them. I already have a few done but I still have 4 or 5 reels left to go.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD