Where can i order frames upgrades for a 9/0 Penn???

Started by Chris Gatorfan, October 04, 2013, 12:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

I have been to the Tiburon site and Accurate site with no success at finding a frame and spool upgrade kit for my Penn 9/0. I am trying to do a 100% upgrade minus the as gear since its not in production yet. Any body know where i can find these kits. Couldn't even find any on eBay.
Thanks guys,
Chris
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

akfish

They haven't been mad for several years, so your best bet is probably to keep checking on eBay...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

saltydog

Just get some of the ss frame posts off of fleabay and ss screws that will stiffen the reel considerable, I am trying to get a machinist in my area to make a ss reel foot to match them but have to wait till he has time.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Quote from: saltydog on October 04, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Just get some of the ss frame posts off of fleabay and ss screws that will stiffen the reel considerable, I am trying to get a machinist in my area to make a ss reel foot to match them but have to wait till he has time.

So this, I have not heard before. Has anyone done any testing or compiled anecdotal evidence from fishing that demonstrates the stainless posts increase reel stiffness? I like them because they sure are pretty but I don't see how they increase strength.

If you do have any evidence, please share. I am litterally waiting on the edge of my seat.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

I have done a friends reel with a 7 stack drag system and over this summer he has had no problems running at 30# of drag. I am doing another in the next couple of weeks so when I get it done I will do a little testing and post it.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Ron Jones

Cool,
Sal had a stand fail at 22 pounds or so with standard posts, so I guess that's anecdotal evidence that their is a benefit. I think I'll start using them.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on October 05, 2013, 01:36:15 AM
Cool,
Sal had a stand fail at 22 pounds or so with standard posts, so I guess that's anecdotal evidence that their is a benefit. I think I'll start using them.

Ron
Yes it did, but that was a 4/0 wide. It will take way more force on the 9/0 :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

So you agree with Salty on this Sal? I know more Stainless is always a good thing. Just gets a little expensive. Stainless posts and screws make a Senator more Rigid? Where do you get stainless screws that fit the bigger senators that will still look original?
If we can get a stainless stand in the works for the 116A, I think that would be Money! :P
I won't need any anecdotal evidence. ;)
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Most everything I have does not look pretty on the outside (except all the girls!!), but all my reels fish hard. Even in high school, my 68 Mustand tore up the rode but if you looked at it in the parking lot you'd think I need a tow truck.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Shark Hunter

I'm just ribbing you Ron. ;)
Its all good Buddy! We are all friends here. ;D
68 Stang, Huh! Sounds cool. 8)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 05, 2013, 04:07:07 AM
So you agree with Salty on this Sal? I know more Stainless is always a good thing. Just gets a little expensive. Stainless posts and screws make a Senator more Rigid? Where do you get stainless screws that fit the bigger senators that will still look original?
If we can get a stainless stand in the works for the 116A, I think that would be Money! :P
I won't need any anecdotal evidence. ;)
Standard reels are stronger than wide. A 113HL is stronger than a 113HLW, a 116A is stronger than a 116, a 117 is stronger than a 118 and so on.
Although you'll lose on capacity, narrowed reels of the same are stronger yet.
We are talking frames here, a narrowed reel has way less stress than a wide reel, under the same conditions.
Might not be as noticeable on smaller models, but I've seen it from the 4/0 and up.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Well said Sal. ;)
Narrow is stronger! I get it. ;D
I guess my latest purchase will be all your envy. Cherry 116a with extra spool. It doesn't get any better than this! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

With that said, send me all your wide, I'll take them ;D.

I'm going to download that picture for my Halloween decoration and place it on my front window ;).