Abu 6500 Big Game Spool Problem....HELP

Started by callelk, October 04, 2013, 01:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callelk

Ok, I've got a real head scratcher going on with a newish 6500 big game and that is that the spool "slips" unless the bearings are tightened to the point that I can no longer turn the caps.  What is happening is that the pins on the brake assembly are slipping out of the notches in the pinion gear.....see photo below.  Additionally, they do this without the spool shaft in place but they appear to have square slots with sharp edges..

Anyone have this happen before?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

please clarify "slips"? is it spooled with multi?

callelk

Quote from: Mel B on October 04, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
please clarify "slips"? is it spooled with multi?

By slips I mean it jumps in-and-out of the pinion gear slots if I hold my thumb on the spool and turn the handle?  Really curious......

Sorry, it is spooled with 50# braid at the moment.

callelk

Never mind, there was a "nib" at the end of the spool shaft that inserts into the brass spool shaft bushing (from the NC machining process no doubt) and I sanded it down with 600 to 1500 sand paper and then polished it.  It appears that this small protrusion was spacing back the spool shaft to the point that it forced the brake assembly away from the pinion gear enough to allow it to jump in-and-out of the pins in the brake assembly.

Before, I had to tighten it to the point that I could no longer turn the end caps to stop the slipping.  Now, I have side-to-side spool play (and consequently, much better free spool), and full drag range without any slipping or a better term would be skipping in the handle.

Now if I could only find that darn C-Clip  :-\

bluefish69

I have a magnet where I keep small parts while I'm working on a reel or whatever.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: callelk on October 04, 2013, 03:18:10 PM
Now if I could only find that darn C-Clip  :-\
in the "balck hole"  ;D

am glad you're able to figure it out... :) "patience is a virtue"

callelk

Thanks all...

While eating lunch and reading the local fishwrap I turned a page and low and behold here is my C-Clip on page 8.  The least it could have done was slide between the pages in the outdoor section, would have saved me a little time as it is what I read first.