main gear help...

Started by peesherman, October 06, 2013, 08:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peesherman

Okay, so I have a bag of main gears.  They are the exact size as a 300 sized main gear, but when I tried putting one of these main gears on the bridge sleeve of my blackie 344, it didnt wanna go all the way down.  The main gears in the bag are the exact same size as the main gear in my blackie 344, but simply wont slide down like normal.  Help?!?

Newell Nut

Is the problem on the ID or OD? What is the tooth count on the gears (original and new)?

I don't have a blackie but I know on other series the OD of the pinion is larger with low gears such as 3.6 and 4. If you tried a high speed gear on a low speed pinion the gears would bump.

WreckinBall

Quote from: peesherman on October 06, 2013, 08:38:00 AM
Okay, so I have a bag of main gears.  They are the exact size as a 300 sized main gear, but when I tried putting one of these main gears on the bridge sleeve of my blackie 344, it didnt wanna go all the way down.  The main gears in the bag are the exact same size as the main gear in my blackie 344, but simply wont slide down like normal.  Help?!?

Sometimes, the tolerances on Newells vary a bit and the ID of main gears is no exception.  Also, some of those gears may come from later reels that mated to a brass sleeve, unlike the SS sleeve on your Blackie 344.  Sure, they're supposed to be the same size but they just aren't.

Got a dremel?

doradoben

Do any of the other gears in your "bag of main gears" fit the sleeve? If so, count the teeth and maybe no polishing required..

peesherman

When I compared the gear from my blackie to one of the main gears in the bag, the ID and OD was exactly the same.  When I tried to put the gear from the bag onto the bridge sleeve from my blackie, the gear wouldnt go passed the notch on the top.