Peerless N9 upgrade.

Started by Bigmike1984, October 06, 2013, 10:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmike1984

Ok guys just got this reel back together and it cast good really surprised!!

The ?'s I got for you is can you up grade it to a faster gear ratio? Can't handle the 3.1-1!!!
Thinking. About using it for cats. Would like to get up to 5-1 or better for me 6-1. I like high speed!

Don't know what the cost would be or if you could do it.

As all ways thanks for any info and time!

Alto Mare

If you're looking for something that much faster, you will need a different reel.
The gear set in the 9 are the smallest that penn offers, there is no room for upgrades.
I thought the 9 was 3.4:1.
You could probably increase it a little to 3.75:1 by using this pinion:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/13-109.aspx
but I'm not sure, small price to pay to give it a shot :-\.
Fish that reel light.
A lot of guys really like this reel, I personally would slow it down to 3:1, using the 155 gear set.....if feasible.
The teeth on the 109 gear set are scary thin :-\
Just my worthless 2 cents ;D

****Not that you asked for it, but scratch that last part on the 155. It will not work, I just checked****

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Maybe you could do some research on something similar to this, it would give you what you're looking for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Jigmaster-500-vintage-saltwater-fishing-reel-w-Real-Deal-transmission-/390673999079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af5fc24e7
I know this one is for a Jigmaster, but I've seen them for smaller reels as well.
The only problem, it would be like shooting with a side by side vs. an over and under ;D.
I like shooting my over and under more ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Leave it stock, put the handle and star off a 209 on it, upgrade drags. And if you need an aluminum spool hit me up. Just pack it full of 15-20lb mono, it's a bait reel not a plugging reel
Grayson Lanier