113h clicker?

Started by broadway, March 31, 2010, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

So, now that I've got my (4) 113hsp's done I figured I would do a favor for an old friend. I took his 113hlw today, opened it up, let the #$%^ in it run out, cleaned her up as best I could. The only thing I didn't take off my reels last time was the clicker cause there was no need to.  His clicker is RUSTED.  I was able to remove the "C" clip, but I can't remove the clicker (is there a trick?) nor can I put the clip back on. Hmmm?  Thanks
Dom

Irish Jigger

The hardened steel clicker is rusted and stuck to the brass click button. Apply a release agent and punch the click button off the clicker.Support the reel side plate and use a pin punch slightly smaller in diameter than the click button when distmantling these parts. Clean the "C" clip groove in the click button and the hole in the clicker. Grease and reassemble.

broadway

Thanks jigger, that makes sense, I'm on it!  ...let ya know how it goes. Thanks
Dom

alantani

see, i told you this would happen!  did he toss in a 6-pack with the reels!  no !!!!!!!  did he toss in a $20 bill?  no!!!!!  welcome the the club, dom!  anyway, get a punch and a small hammer and punch out the click button.  it will be fine!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan,

No $20, no beer (don't drink much anyway), but he has given me about 5% of his 74 years of fishing knowledge.  I guess that'll have to do :)  So, I should lay the reel down (sideplate facing the table), take a small pin and hammer to the metal piece the clicker rests on?  I just wanna get this right.  If I break it, I buy it (The Alan Tani Way), and this reel ain't worth the grease I put in her.  Oddly enough it'll probably last another 25 years.  Thanks
Dom 

slgriffiths

Dom,  do you have a Dremel tool?  (Alan's friend...)
If you haven't, and you're going to carry on in this game, then get one!
Grinding off the peened over portion of the clicker shaft from the clicker tongue makes it a lot easier to  drive out - you don't want to break the sideplate by hammering it too much, and that is a serious possibility.  Plastic isn't as strong as metal.
Be careful!  That kind of mistake, as you have suggested, gets expensive.
Simon.

Irish Jigger

Simon,
         Dom's first post indicated that he had removed the "C" clip from the click button so I assumed that the click button was not peened over and would press out. The schematics for his reel shows the click button to be retained with a "C" clip.

You are right about damaging the sideplate if trying to punch out a peened clicker without first grinding off the peened end.

IJ.

broadway

Irish,

You are 100% correct, it's peened.  I realized physics wasn't gonna let me get this off without some grinding somewhere.  Now, if I grind it down what's gonna hold it down?  Thanks
Dom

Irish Jigger

Dom,
       I'm a little confused. If there was originally a "C" clip on the click button it would not have been peened. If however it is peened and you remove it by grinding I imagine that you would have to fit a new click button,click tongue and "C" clip. I have not done this and hope that someone more experienced will come along and advise you here.

IJ.

slgriffiths

Irish, you are 100% right - if there was a c-clip, it isn't peened.  
My bad.  
That'll teach me to read more carefully before sounding off.
My guess it's corroded so badly it's locked up.  The penetrant technique is the correct one, Dom, followed by Alan's punching it out.
BUT - and it's a big one, if you need to do more than just tap it, stop before you break/crack the sideplate.
If it's corroded that badly I'd be inclined to replace everything, to grind away the corroded click tongue carefully, (don't let it get too hot and melt the sideplate).
Replacing a sideplate is more expensive than the click tongue/button/c-clip. And you end up with a nice new assembly.
Sorry if I confused!
Simon.

broadway

Okay,  how about if it's a 113hlw (it has been practically worn away)? Does it make sense that it is peened+has a c-clip?  Cause this is definitely peened (flattened) and I definitely took a c-clip off.  I was gonna try to fix it if it was just labor, but I can't put much money into this old clunker.  She's seen brighter days, but will work for now.  Thanks
Dom

slgriffiths

Dom,
The three parts are:
    35-60    click tongue            $1.35
    36-112   button                   $1.50
    69B-600  retaining ring          $1.05
from a well known Penn Parts supplier.  $3.90 total.
Your call, I guess.
Simon.

Irish Jigger

Go for it Dom,don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar,as the old saying goes.

broadway

Maybe you're right, Simon, I'll go for the $4 for the ole' timer.  Cool Saying Irish!  Thanks Guys
Dom