Maxima
4 (6.9%)
Spectra/Braid
7 (12.1%)
Other
6 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

sundaytrucka

I am looking to choose a line and wanted to hear what others are using, what they would or would not recommend, and any problems or benefits they have experienced with "their" lines.

After some research it seems most, if not all lines, break above their listed strength. Some are 1-3#s above their rating, while others are up to 16#s higher (P-line CXXX) than their listed rating. So, breaking strength is not really an issue. (Dry testing strength, from third party source pulled off the web.)

Real Considerations:
1. Knot strength
2. Casting Ability
3. Abrasion Resistance
4. Hard to see under water
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

LTM

This should prove interesting,

Time and technology has definitely changed the way fishermen spool-up their reels. Maybe you should clarify: mono vs florocarbon vs solid core braid vs hollow core braid or the combination of all of them.

Lets see what happens,

Leo

Edit: For mono my favorite is Izorline XXX

Ron Jones

I was the first to chose Andy, I don't know if it is better than anything, but I've caught an awful lot of fish with it.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Let me start of by saying I spectra back all my reels. Some with long topshots and others with short ones. For my reels with long toppers I fish Izorline XXX over the braid and reels with short toppers I use Seaguar Premier fluoro tied to my braid. I use to work in a tackle shop and line was free for me to try and I tried many but I found the Tripple X, as we call it, one great line. It is a co-polymer offering very good abrasion resistance and limpness which aids in its casting. Izorline First String mono or Izor Rope as we call it is good for trolling or on heavy line applications but IMO not the best for live bait fishing unless cow sized tuna are in the area.

doradoben

I have used Yo-zuri  hybrid for at least 10 years. I like it a lot more than Berkley, Ande or P-line. Like SoCal, most of the reels that I fish regularly are spectra backed. If I were going to change, my choice would probably be Izorline XXX...

sundaytrucka

Quote from: LTM on October 07, 2013, 05:33:21 AM
This should prove interesting,

Time and technology has definitely changed the way fishermen spool-up their reels. Maybe you should clarify: mono vs florocarbon vs solid core braid vs hollow core braid or the combination of all of them.

Lets see what happens,

Leo

Edit: For mono my favorite is Izorline XXX

I personally plan to use my setups with different products; similar to SoCalAngler, different setups for different applications. Some with straight mono or co-polymer line, spectra backing with 100+yd mono topshot, and full spectra with a short fluorocarbon leader.

On top of finding what brands and sub-categories of those brands people use, we will hopefully get to hear how and why they use them.

*I would religiously use Maxima Green for local bay fishing, and Izorline Blue and Ande Pink for island/offshore, all standard mono versions. I have been out of the loop for nearly ten years, and as you mentioned advancement has occurred.

I amended the poll, added a couple more options.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Tightlines667

MoiMoi is generally one of the more popular choices here in HI.  It is readily available and is popularily utilized as a commercial line due to its relatively low cost, abrasion-resistants, as well as maintaining excellent longevity.  OPI is also popular due to its small diameter/strength ratio and low cost.  If cost isn't a factor, I think the IGFA-rated ANDE is the higest quality in terms of actual breaking strength being at or below rated, knot strength, low diameter, and greatest producion quality overall.   I have also used the Berkley triline big game and believe in it to have good knot strength, and its relatively inexpensive....not so good on durability though.  The triline XL is a good freshwater limp, castable mono.  For deep drop/jigging I like PowerPro (though knot strength is not good).  The XXX is a great trolling line, and makes for good topshot material.  For holo-core backing I think JB is the way to go (soft, no stretch, durable).  

So overall for long-term durability, performance, and cost I vote for the high end Moi Moi.  

For best quality XXX,

for world records and happy medium ANDE.

For lowest cost, highest durability OPI.

JB for holo-core

PowerPro for small reel deep drop/jigging.

I personally do not like Maxima, or Suffix line.

Not sure what my favorite flouricarbon is?  Yozuri
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I target Sharks for sport. Heavy Mono is what I use. Izorline is the best in my opinion based on your given choices. There is another Mono called Exsum. It is very inexpensive and have had good results thus far. When you have to spool a bunch of Giant Senators, the Exsum will not break the bank.
Life is Good!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

conchydong

When using Mono, I use Momoi HiCatch Smoke Blue on reels that are used for live bait or casting. I use Suffix Superior HiVis on my trolling reels.
On my reels that I use Spectra, I prefer JB or Tufline Guides Choice. I used to use Cortland Spectron for deep dropping, but it is hard to find these days.

saltydog

Most of my reels are all spectra backed and I use short topshots on my rods. For mono I use P-line topshots. I have had really good luck with it from crappie to tuna I feel it performs. On my shark rods I use Berkly big game in 50 to 130# for topshots.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok i've used berkeley 30 lb big game and PLine so far i prefer big game. Pline 20lb am happy but will be using the momoi diamond 20 and 30 lb when i go on my trip in 2 wks. so i can compare the 20lb Pline. also will buy jinkai and izorline monos to test. as to multi i've used PPro  Izorline  Berkeley fireline trace (sucks)  Spiderwire  which sucks more.  ;D this time will be buying jerry brown solid and hollow core  daiwa boat braid cuz i've read a lot of good things about these 2 multi lines.

check my avatar 19 kgs (42 lbs) using 20 lb Pline CXX...

SoCalAngler

For you guys looking for mono line, knot and spectra breaking strengths check out Paulus's website. Paulus has done extensive testing and fair reviews IMO.

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/

otownjoe

I couldn't pick just one .I use most of the brands depending on the situation.heres my favorites
Specta - jb - good quality, good diameters ,easy to work with
Bottom fishing - momoi diamond-low stretch ,high breaking strength
Trolling, long topshots-izor line-hard to break
Beach and pier-ande- best price for a great all around line
Low pound test stealth- p line flurocarbon line-great abrasion resistance, gets bit

On all of my reels that I use the expensive mono's I use specta backing when I can.it's a lot cheaper in the long run to keep reels
Full and ready this way.plus spectra backing never hurts if you hook a big one

floating doc

I've use a lot of Ande; good value. Also Berkley Big Game for heavier weight line. Trilene XP for light line. I haven't used braid much, but I'm working towards backing my heavy reels with braid.
Central Florida