113h Main Gear

Started by doradoben, October 08, 2013, 03:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

I have a 113h main gear that is either steel or stainless. It's NOS and there is not a single blemish or any light rust film on any part of it. No grease, oil or any other protective coating. The gear is the right color to be stainless, but a magnet will stick to it. The slots in the gear to accept eared washers seem like they are not deep enough to use a 5 stack. So, I'm guessing it was manufactured during the time that these reels used thick 3 stack drag washers. I'll modify the slots to be able to accept a modern drag stack before I try to use it. I know that the Anniversary Models of the early 1980's had SS gears, but I don't know about the drags. My question is... When approximately, did Penn start using 5 stack drag sets, and when did the brass main gear replace the steel gear? Thanks for your input.

Bryan Young

Not sure, but I got 2 of then. Planning to drill down to fit a 5 or more drag stack
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bunnlevel Sharker

Sounds like a steel gear to me, I have found a few dry steel ones with no rust. Heck if you don't want it I will trade you a bronze one for it that will take a 5 stack
Grayson Lanier

doradoben

Thanks, but I've got extra brass gears. I'm going to use it in a standard width 113h that has a topless Tib frame, SS sleeve, dog and some other stuff. I already have everything. I want one that is the standard 3.25 Penn ratio because I've have a Yellowtail Special and a standard size 113h that are both fully modified & 4:1.. 

Alto Mare

If you're going with 5+1, there is no need to modify the slots. The first three washes don't have ears, the first is a carbon fiber washer, the second a keyed metal and the third carbon fiber will bring you well above the slots.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

doradoben