Before there was braid

Started by mrbrklyn, October 08, 2013, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

kmstorm64

Last month went on a salmon charter boat off of Marin.  Slow day to be sure, but the one thing I learned that day was braid makes a difference.  We were using dog whistle releases with 2.5 pound weights in 40-60 feet of water, 60 pulls out.  I use 30# braind on my surfmaster 100.  16 guys on the boat, I am the only one using Braid, everyone else has heavy mono of evedry shape and color.  As we are trolling I notice that every rod with mono is trolling with much more "drag " on their lines than my braid is.  Braid is almost, but not quite straight down.  I chalk that up to smaller diameter=less resistance in the water, which got it down to depth it needed to be at.  Results= 6 fish were caught that day. Only one rod reel got two, my surfmaster with braid.  I would of claimed both but GF went with me, and she could not handle the Jigmaster Back up I brought for her to use, so I loaned it to her  and she caught her first salmon on it.  She then went off to chat in the cabin for the rest of the day when I scored fish #2.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

floating doc

I think that this thread could have been titled "Before there was mono" just as accurately.
Central Florida