R332-5

Started by maxpowers, October 08, 2013, 07:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi,

I have a used r332-5 (actually  floor model that I bought a long time ago) that I love to fish with and have caught several nice bluefin with it.  I was wondering if I should upgrade the drag on this to Bryan's 5+1 setup as I just realized that the spool is graphite.  I don't want to overpower the spool with 65 lbs spectra and 40 lbs mono on this reel.  I have the drag updated with carbontex already.

Thanks,

Newell Nut

I have Bryans 5+1 in my G-332 and they work great and very smooth. You should be maxed out around 25lb now and you will soon be smooth at 25 with the max around 30. The reel can take it but better with a Tib frame.
I fished mine hard this summer and no problem.

maxpowers

Thanks Newell Nut.  Because it is a red frame and supposedly limited production reel, I am hesitant to fish it too hard.  my P229 and P338 along with the progear 541 and baja special filled out my set up nicely.  So you don't think there is any issue with the graphite spool?

Thanks,

Mike

Newell Nut

I use both metal and graphite spools on reels with the 5+1 drags. No problem at all. These reels are tougher than you think. They only worry with a graphite spool is dropping on the garage floor while servicing it. Somebody reported chipping one here a while back but I have never had a problem in over 20 years of using them. Got my first P metal one last year.

Tunacious

I'm probably more conservative on how I use my Newells so take it for what it's worth. ;D

I use the original 4-stack P's. I don't use a scale to measure my drags, rather, I go by feel just by pulling on the line. I prefer a somewhat tighter drag on my reels. Because of the 4 jigmaster size drags, the 2/3/4 size Newells have always been 30# reels IMHO. I've heard similar things for years from other fisherman and website chatter. While you can always get 40/50# line on them, the drags weren't designed for heavier line. I don't believe you can get more than 15#'s of drag max on the 4-stack P reels. I use to use 40# line on my P332 but even with the drags buttoned down, it still wasn't near enough for 40#. It was a waste using 40# line because I couldn't get enough drag. Yes, I'm using the correct washers on the reels. :)

Now, perhaps with this new 5+1 CF system, one would get more drag...I don't know. It sounds like measurements have been made and that's indeed the case.

Like you've said, the R332 is all graphite. It's also a multi-piece reel....lots of screws hold the graphite parts together to the thin ss rings. The P's, although with aluminum parts, are also multi-piece reels. Frame flexing would be a big concern, especially all graphite. For larger fish, I'd rather have a one piece aluminum frame. This is why I may eventually Tib out my P322's/332's.....just in case Big Moe hits my dine... ;) My stock P's have caught fish up to 50 lbs without any problems, though none with greater than 30# line.Are the Tib frames an absolute must? Nope... Would I fish 40/50# line on my 322/332 P's (with spectra) if they were Tib'd out and could actually get 20+ lbs of drag with the 5+1 system? Yup 8) I'd also feel confident in getting in Big Moe.

For Alba/BFT/YFT/YT/Dodo's up to 60-70 lbs, my stock Newells would probably be just fine mechanically. I remember an ad Carl ran in a couple fishing mags years ago. He was basically saying that Newells were great for those 'football' size tuna. Remember, his designs were developed at the same time that the Penn Jigmaster, Squidder, 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0 models were popular for SoCal fishing. His 2/3/4 models basically duplicated them with aluminum parts.

Your R332 would most likely be fine for most fishing situations though I think it's a waste for over 30# mono due to the drag system. Now, when I hear the skipper saying there's a school of 70-100 lb. BFT 1/4 mile away and he guns the boat....my stock P332 or stock NL 533 is going back in the rack and I'm getting the one piece frames - ProGears, Tib'd TLD 30 or 50S. I'm getting them out because they were designed to fish heavier lines and also have the stronger one piece frames.

ErnieK

I just installed the drag kits in my 229, 338, and 541.  I just got back from a 1.5day'r and really felt I needed some more capability in the drags, especially in the 338 and 541 (229=20lb, 338=30lb, 541=40lb).  Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the kits and the added boost in drag.  FWIW, I think its actually tougher on the reels to have the drags near buttoned all the time vs, slightly clamped with bryans kits.  I recommend putting the kits in.  If you end up hooking something big you'll be glad you had!

Tunacious

If I'm reading your reply correctly, it appears that the drag upgrade to 5+1 makes a huge difference...cool! :) I might just have to try these out and also Tib out a few reels. :o   I agree...I'd much rather not having to button down on my drags just to get enough pressure.