EARLY MODEL LX ANTI-REVERSE PROBLEMS?

Started by LTM, October 08, 2013, 09:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Folks,

Reading post on "Raptor vs non-Raptor" and two people mentioned problems with the AR/anti-reverse dog on the reel. Got couple of responses (thanx gents), but didnt want to hijack post.  So, can anyone shed more light on this subject.  It was mentioned that Avet has changed its design of the AR since the early model.  Please provide specific details on the problem, resolution and identification of reels with the issue.

Thanx,

Leo

Edit: Is this with ALL early model Avets or specifically the LX?

akfish

It's only on the very first LX and JX. Those reels had a very standard dog and dog spring anti-reverse. Once Avet brought out new models -- I think the MX was next -- they introduced an entirely different anti-reverse system. The redsigned LXs were rounder and had a deeper and more narrow spool. I've never seen a problem with the anti-reverse on the newer versions, but many, perhaps most, of the early reels I see have anti-reverse problems. A stiffer dog spring helps as does some very careful sanding on the dog but there was a reason Avet completely redesigned their anti-reverse.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

LTM

Akfish,

You've got me on the edge of my seat with this.  I know I've an early model LX (purchased my PRO EX4/0 2 and SX5.0 around the same time frame).  None of these reels have serial numbers, which now I understand they do.  would you please DESCRIBE in detail what to look for and if possible, DETAILS for the fix.

Thanx,

Leo

Bunnlevel Sharker

New lxs are like Akfish said, rounder, also taller. Old ones are wide. I can post a pic if needed
Grayson Lanier

akfish

The SX never had an anti-reverse problem to my knowledge. As for your LX, pop it open and if you see a long arm from the main gear to a dog in the side plate, and a ratchet on the drag plate that the dog fits to for the anti-reverse, you're in luck. On the other hand, if the entire anti-reverse is the left side plate and main gear you've got the old suspect system. Finally, Avet did not put serial numbers on all of their early reels -- even those with the good ant-reverse.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

LTM,

Look at this thread by Bucktail if your LX looks like this not to worry. The first pic shows the AR.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7510.0

LTM

Thanx guys for your feedback,

Im currently in the middle of drilling out handle arms to install grips. I'll open my LX when I get a chance. Hope I got one of the good AR mechanisms. On the chance that I may have one of the bad reels; is there a fix, if not what recourse do I have if any?

Thanx for your collective input again,

Leo

LTM

Thanx much guys,

Spot-on pictures and knowledge from the pros. My reel is good-to-go!  Thanx lads for coming thru in the manner that you do.

Tight lines,

Leo

Dynamo

Yes, the older LXs as well as alot of the other models had a single dog anti-reverse. And they changed it for a reason :-\. A good company is one which evolves for the better, they did that well for the most part, except for customer service :o ;D!