Penn 1/0

Started by joel8080, October 09, 2013, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I have a really premo 1/0 it has a SS gear sleeve and a steel gear it's on a old Fin-Nor 12-20 lb rod with a roller tip, here's the problem The clicker only works when I'm reeling in and when it's on and you get a strike no sound at all when the line goes out, How do I fix the problem I have had it apart 3-4 times and all the clicker pc's look perfect.

Joel
Oceanside,California

Shark Hunter

Sounds like you need a tongue adjustment.(clicker tongue that is) A picture would be great.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yes Daron, that could be one of the reasons.

Hey Joel, it could be a few other things as well. First thing I would check is if the spool is centered.
If the spool sits too far to the right, it will cause this. If that's the case, you would probably need a new right side bushing....very reasonable in cost. Also, check the bottom of the tongue, even though it looks good on top, the bottom might have some wear.
Check the clicker spring, if the spring lost its shape at times the tongue will back itself out slowly, just enough to do what yours is doing. You could adjust the spring by bending it a little, but try not to lift it too much, lift it just enough to go over the tongue when squeezing it back in place.
Lastly, is the spool a newell or penn?  Check the teeth on the spool ratchet, there is a slight possibility that those rounded off on one side, a small file should handle that.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

joel8080

Thanks to both of you, it was the spring, I had pinched the spring but I was afraid to lift it, so I Lifted & Pinched and the reel is perfect.

Again Than You.

Joel
Oceanside,California