Black Pearl's gears for 500- 505 & 112H

Started by Alto Mare, October 11, 2013, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: broadway on January 11, 2014, 08:51:33 PM
Thanks for testing these so we don't lose the big one when that time comes.
Thanks to Alan for coming up with a solid solution for us.
When should we be expecting this pinion?
What a crumby day in the entire northeast;( ...but tomorrow's gonna be a real winner.
Dom

The replacement pinion will be here in a week. When they get here, I will let everybody. who purchased the first batch pinion gears, know.

broadway

Black Pearl

Hi guys,

I have the latest updated on this 5:1 gear set. It seems that I have to go back to the drawing board. The new improved pinion gear seems to work fine, but I don't think it will hold up good enough because Sal installed the new set into a Accurate Jigmaster 100% full conversion reel, and the main gear did not do good. Therefore, I have instructed my resource to re-design the whole gear set. I even asked for that Accurate JigMaster from Sal to ship it to my resource for checking.

I am really sorry about this, and I believe that we will make it right next time. If anyone has purchased the first batch 20 gear sets and would like to receive a full refund, please let me know. Otherwise, I will replace them when the new design gear set is finished.

Thanks,
--Alan

jigmaster501

Drop the gear ratio to 4.5:1 or even 4:1. The slower gears will have more metal on each tooth and be stronger.

floating doc

Obviously this is a difficult task. I don't mind waiting for the redesign.  I still have a good set of gears that will work for up to 40 lb test. Plus, I'm in line already for the redesigned set.
Central Florida

erikpowell

Quote from: floating doc on January 16, 2014, 04:27:30 AM
Obviously this is a difficult task. I don't mind waiting for the redesign.  I still have a good set of gears that will work for up to 40 lb test. Plus, I'm in line already for the redesigned set.
x2
Alan, I like your style...a man makin things right... way to go, keep with it. Lead by example!

BMITCH

Alan, I believe these are worth the wait. 8) Keep us in the loop ;D
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

Gotta respect the fact that Alan's not bringing anything but quality to the table... thanks for the quality control (Sal too!)
Dom

erikpowell

Arrgghhh... i guess I should have expected this after reading the latest news here.
But I just received my Tib frame and BP, BY, and AT's goodies for my 501 and guess in my haste to go fishing, forgot about this thread  ???

and yep, shredded the BP pinion just dinking around & pulling line off the reel under drag while checking my spacing sleeve & star clearance. I didn't even get to close bottoming out the star. Main gear still looks ok though.

Quote from: jigmaster501 on January 16, 2014, 01:03:27 AM
Drop the gear ratio to 4.5:1 or even 4:1. The slower gears will have more metal on each tooth and be stronger.

In hindsight, maybe Jigmaster is right... I already have a couple 505's to cover the 5:1(which I hardly use)
and actually would prefer the lower ratio and more beef for my 501.

here's a couple pics of the pinion:

I trust & believe Alan will figure out a solution... so in the meantime I'll sit tight and see what Alan comes up with.

Quote from: floating doc on January 16, 2014, 04:27:30 AM

FD, which gears are you referring too? a newell set ? 
I do have a set of those e-bay gears for $25... maybe in the meantime I'll see if those will shred too  ;D

Keep us posted Alan, I'm hanging in there for ya.

Ron Jones

I am sure Alan will sort this out, but I do love my 4:1 steel gears.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Irish Jigger

I'm not surprised these gears continue to fail. Penn had serious issues with their 501HS supposedly 5:1 gears (Actually 4.8:1).
These pinions were never going to withstand the increased drag required of them.
They are made from S316  an Austenitic stainless steel which cannot be hardened and tempered.

Due to the restricted gearbox housing in these reels the gears cannot be made larger and hence the problem, re the old adage
"You can't fit a quart into a pint pot".

As previously suggested a set of very strong lower ratio gears in a heat treatable stainless steel would meet the needs of most people.

I had a problem with 501HS gears failing in my 112H and solved it by buying a Trinidad TN16  There was no other alternative ;)

Good Luck.

Alto Mare

Tom, yes most of us know about the 505 gears failing, but I've never experienced a problem with the 4:1 pinion.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm sticking with my Penns.
This is just the beginning, they wanted to see if the 5:1 would work and they didn't.
I have no doubts that they will get it right.
Later buddy,
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

The 5 to 1 on the mid size Newells and the 400 series work just fine so it just boils down to the material and hardening. The newells are hardened stainless but I do not know the grade.

Alto Mare

I forgot to mention that the heat treated pinion is still doing good in my 501 stock plates, I pushed them to around 22lb.and still holding up. The ones that failed were in my Accurate kit.
The pinion showing above by Erik ( erikpowel) is not the same, I have the only heat treated pinions at the moment.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2014, 07:03:53 PM
I forgot to mention that the heat treated pinion is still doing good in my 501 stock plates, I pushed them to around 22lb.and still holding up. The ones that failed were in my Accurate kit.
The pinion showing above by Erik ( erikpowel) is not the same, I have the only heat treated pinions at the moment.

Sal is correct. The pinion I showed is from BP's first batch..... prior to the heat treated ones...
I was a little late to the dance.  :D