Baja Special Spectra 50lb Line

Started by Tommy_Tuna, April 04, 2010, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Tuna

I have a 15KG that Cal blueprinted. He told me it's reelly (really) a 50lb reel. I would rather go with one of my Baja Specials for a 50lb 'lupe reel. So I'm gunna sell my 15KG and go Baja Special. Should I spool it with 80lb Spectra with 50lb mono on top?

Thanks,

Tommy

akfish

That's how I fish mine. It's a great reel that handles 50# very well. Yu'll find it casts much better than your 15KG as well.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Roger

Tommy, My son just got a Baja and that's the way he's going with his down here on the gulf coast.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

yup!  80# spectra and a short 30, 40, 50 or 60# topshot.  very versatile reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tommy_Tuna

Thanks Guys, I am going with 80lb Spectra with 50lb mono. Should I go hollow or solid braid?

Thanks,

Tom

alantani

i like hollow, but it's expensive!

Bryan Young

Ditto on the hollow.  Line seems to be easier on your fingers (and therefore guides), lays flatter and if you need to cut of yardage, you can always splice new braid without having to strip the whole reel.  Of course, I discovered this after I had lined my reels with solid braid.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, you can repair hollowcore spectra!  that's the biggest advantage.  alan